Sign in with
Your question

New 22" LCD Monitor Fuzzy Text & Eye Fatigue at 1680x1050

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 12, 2008 3:39:10 AM

I'm using an older Dell 4500, P4 (2.4ghz) w. 1GB of RAM and an NVidia GeForce4 MX 420 Video Card w. 64MB of RAM. I have all of the updated drivers for the card.

I bought a new 22" (LG W2252TQ) LCD monitor which has a native resolution of 1680 x 1050.

No matter what resolution I use or color and sharpness settings I change on the monitor & graphic card, text and images don't seem sharp or as sharp as my older 17" CRT monitor.

I should note that I am not using a DVI cable as my graphics card does not support DVI. So I appear to be connected "analog." I also have "clear type" turned on in the appearances tab.

Many of the reviews on the monitor I bought state that it displays sharp graphics and text.

Would a newer graphics card with a DVI connection solve the sharpness and eye fatigue issue at 1680 x 1050 resolution?
a c 358 U Graphics card
November 12, 2008 2:19:15 PM

Do you have a spare VGA cable or can you borrow one?

Also, try re-installing the video drivers.
a b U Graphics card
November 13, 2008 12:48:31 AM

DVI is often sharper looking than VGA at high resolutions on an LCD monitor. If you have access to anything with a DVI out, it could be worth a try.
November 13, 2008 10:13:12 PM

jaguarskx said:
Do you have a spare VGA cable or can you borrow one?

Also, try re-installing the video drivers.

Thanks. I recently updated the video drivers. Unfortunately I only have 1 VGA cable. I may try a new video card.

One additional thing I have noticed ont his monitor is that the stand it is on has a short base and the monitor tends to physically wobble a little if I lightly hit my leg against the computer desk or bump the desk.

I'm not sure that is common for 22" widescreen LCDs.
!