reinstall windows xp sp2 system files

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

I have a windows xp sp2 and it would not boot. It says that the ntdlr is
missing or corrupt and I should repair installation.

When I try to boot from the cd, it gives me the option of reinstalling by
entering "r".
The system then goes to msdos. Where do I go from there??

Also, when I try to do the method 2 in
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341 It does not
give me the option of pressing R to repair Windows XP in step number 5. It
only gives me the option of formatting the disk?

please help. I do not want to do a clean install as it would erase all my
documents. I just need to reinstall the system files. I dont care about the
other installed program. I just want to access my files to back up.

Thanks,
Eric
5 answers Last reply
More about reinstall windows system files
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    eric wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a windows xp sp2 and it would not boot. It says that the ntdlr
    > is missing or corrupt and I should repair installation.
    >
    > When I try to boot from the cd, it gives me the option of reinstalling
    > by entering "r".
    > The system then goes to msdos. Where do I go from there??
    >
    > Also, when I try to do the method 2 in
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341 It does
    > not give me the option of pressing R to repair Windows XP in step
    > number 5. It only gives me the option of formatting the disk?
    >
    > please help. I do not want to do a clean install as it would erase all
    > my documents. I just need to reinstall the system files. I dont care
    > about the other installed program. I just want to access my files to
    > back up.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Eric

    1. Is there a floppy in the drive? If so, remove it and reboot. The
    error will be gone.

    2. Otherwise, boot with a real Windows XPSP2 cd (not an OEM recovery
    disk). Take R for Repair which will take you to the Recovery Console.

    3. Recovery Console will ask you which XP install you want to repair.
    Usually there is just the one so type the number and press the Enter
    key. When it asks for the Administrator password, press Enter (default
    password is a blank).

    4. Now you will be the Recovery Console prompt. Type:

    COPY D:\i386\ntldr C:\ [enter]
    COPY D:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\ [enter]
    (a file that may also be missing)

    This assumes that your cd drive is D:; if it isn't, substitute the
    correct letter.

    then rebuild the boot configuration boot.ini file by typing:

    Attrib -H -R -S C:\boot.ini [enter]
    (if not found skip the next line)
    DEL C:\boot.ini [enter]
    BootCfg /Rebuild [enter]

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Thanks for responding. answers inline..


    > 1. Is there a floppy in the drive? If so, remove it and reboot. The
    > error will be gone.

    No there is no floppy drive.


    > 2. Otherwise, boot with a real Windows XPSP2 cd (not an OEM recovery
    > disk). Take R for Repair which will take you to the Recovery Console.

    I have an original windows xp pro disk and a separate sp2 disk....not OEM
    version


    > 3. Recovery Console will ask you which XP install you want to repair.
    > Usually there is just the one so type the number and press the Enter
    > key. When it asks for the Administrator password, press Enter (default
    > password is a blank).

    Already did this and i will try your steps below.
    I forgot to mention, sometimes I am getting a "c:\windows\system32\config"
    corrupt error and system suggest to repair installation. waht is the command
    for this fix?


    > 4. Now you will be the Recovery Console prompt. Type:
    >
    > COPY D:\i386\ntldr C:\ [enter]
    > COPY D:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\ [enter]
    > (a file that may also be missing)
    >
    > This assumes that your cd drive is D:; if it isn't, substitute the
    > correct letter.
    >
    > then rebuild the boot configuration boot.ini file by typing:
    >
    > Attrib -H -R -S C:\boot.ini [enter]
    > (if not found skip the next line)
    > DEL C:\boot.ini [enter]
    > BootCfg /Rebuild [enter]
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"
    >
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    eric wrote:

    > Thanks for responding. answers inline..
    >
    >
    >> 1. Is there a floppy in the drive? If so, remove it and reboot. The
    >> error will be gone.
    >
    > No there is no floppy drive.
    >
    >
    >> 2. Otherwise, boot with a real Windows XPSP2 cd (not an OEM recovery
    >> disk). Take R for Repair which will take you to the Recovery Console.
    >
    > I have an original windows xp pro disk and a separate sp2 disk....not
    > OEM version
    >
    >
    >> 3. Recovery Console will ask you which XP install you want to repair.
    >> Usually there is just the one so type the number and press the Enter
    >> key. When it asks for the Administrator password, press Enter
    >> (default password is a blank).
    >
    > Already did this and i will try your steps below.
    > I forgot to mention, sometimes I am getting a
    > "c:\windows\system32\config" corrupt error and system suggest to
    > repair installation. waht is the command for this fix?
    >

    There isn't a command for a Repair Install. You have to do a Repair
    Install. You'll need to create a slipstreamed XP install cd. Here are
    links to help you with that:

    How to slipstream sp2 into XP
    http://www.msfn.org/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=49
    http://www.windows-help.net/windowsxp/winxp-sp2-bootcd.html

    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic"
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Hi,

    This worked although I have a new error when I boot windows xp..


    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    4. Now you will be the Recovery Console prompt. Type:

    COPY D:\i386\ntldr C:\ [enter]
    COPY D:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\ [enter]
    (a file that may also be missing)

    This assumes that your cd drive is D:; if it isn't, substitute the
    correct letter.

    then rebuild the boot configuration boot.ini file by typing:

    Attrib -H -R -S C:\boot.ini [enter]
    (if not found skip the next line)
    DEL C:\boot.ini [enter]
    BootCfg /Rebuild [enter]

    Malke
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    it says that:

    windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt.

    I tried copying the "system" file from the windows xp disk but I cannot
    locate it.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    eric wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > This worked although I have a new error when I boot windows xp..
    >
    >
    > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    > 4. Now you will be the Recovery Console prompt. Type:
    >
    > COPY D:\i386\ntldr C:\ [enter]
    > COPY D:\i386\ntdetect.com C:\ [enter]
    > (a file that may also be missing)
    (snip)

    > windows\system32\config\system is missing or corrupt.
    >
    > I tried copying the "system" file from the windows xp disk but I
    > cannot locate it.

    Corrupted Registry Recovery -
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q307545
    and http://support.microsoft.com/?id=822705

    It might be smart for you to do some hardware troubleshooting, too. With
    all the errors you're getting, I'd test the RAM and the hard drive.
    Here are some steps to do that:

    1) Test the RAM - I like Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org. Obviously, you
    have to get the program from a working machine. You will either
    download the precompiled Windows binary to make a bootable floppy or
    the .iso to make a bootable cd. If you want to use the latter, you'll
    need to have third-party burning software on the machine where you
    download the file - XP's built-in burning capability won't do the job.
    In either case, boot with the media you made. The test will run
    immediately. Let the test run for an extended period of time - unless
    errors are seen immediately. If you get any errors, replace the RAM.

    2) Test the hard drive with a diagnostic utility from the mftr. Usually
    you will download the file and make a bootable floppy with it. Boot
    with the media and do a thorough test. If the drive has physical
    errors, replace it.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Ask a new question

Read More

Boot Microsoft Windows XP