FTP connection refused by server problem.

jengraz

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
I just bought a new compaq computer and tried to upload files to a hosting company I've used for the past year using a ftp program and could not connect. I also tried to login to the cpanel of this hosting company and could not connect. I contacted the hosting company (justhost) and they could not discover the problem on their end. My old computer worked and so I am wondering if there is something I need to change on this new laptop to get things moving along. I have removed the firewall protection and rebooted computer- this has not helped. I ran the troubleshooting and the computer said... there might be a problem but could not determine what. When I try to connect to the hosting cpanel it says that "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at cl48.justhost.com:2083" Using filezilla the program it says "Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".
Error: Could not connect to server". Any ideas what the problem is and what to do? I appreciate any help!

jengraz

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Hi aford10 and thanks for the reply. I figured out the problem. I stopped by the library to access wi-fi with my new computer for the first time. It seems that over the weekend they "upgraded" their wi-fi and put restrictions on what is available for users- they block certain programs including ftp programs now. I went elsewhere and everything works fine. Thanks again for your help.