Sign in with
Your question

24" Monitor for photo and video editing and graphic design

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
November 15, 2008 6:55:54 AM

I'm looking for another 24" Monitor for the photo and video editing and graphic design. Right now I have a Samsung 245BW that looks great but doing research for another 24". I found out that it's a TN and it is not really good in displaying color. I want the best price for the best quality and found some brands while googling: NEC, EIZO, and Planar, which use some kind of S-IPS panels. If you have any input about this, please help out. Thank you in advance.
a c 195 C Monitor
November 18, 2008 5:23:58 AM

Planar's 24" PX2411w uses a TN panel. The 26" PX2611w uses the same H-IPS panel as the NEC LCD 2690WUXi. The NEC is more expensive because it contains extra electronics to improve color quality and uniformity. It has 1 billion (or is that 10 billion??) color look up table (LUT) for improved color accuracy.

NEC 's 24" LCD2490WUXi would probably be my choice for a 24" LCD monitor for your need. Overall, it has the same electronics as the 26" 2690WUXi, but based on testing by a user named ToastyX over at hardforum.com in the Display section, the 2490WUXi is a superior 24" LCD monitor compared to everything that is out there.

Although the 2490WUXi is not a wide gamut monitor, according to ToastyX it produces the purest white and color uniformity compared to it's larger brother the 2690WUXi (which I have).

Eizo competes against the NEC WUXi series. Don't know much about Eizo since I'm not into graphics or photography. They use S-PVA panels if I am not mistaken (at least for the models I am aware of).

Click the following link for some LCD reviews. A couple of Eizo are included and so is the NEC 2690WUXi, but not the 2490WUXi.

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html
November 18, 2008 6:06:25 AM

@jaguarskx

Thank you for the informative reply. I was wondering what's "wide gamut monitor?"
Related resources
a b C Monitor
November 18, 2008 1:18:34 PM

Wide gamut means that the monitor is capable of displaying a larger range of colors than the typical monitor. Another that you might consider is the Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP, which uses a 24" S-PVA panel (not quite as good as IPS for photo, but way better than TN).
a c 195 C Monitor
November 18, 2008 3:04:45 PM

Wide color gamut basic means there is a larger subset of colors that the monitor can display. The is due to the backlight, not the actual LCD panel itself. Typically the color gamut of most CRT and LCD monitors have been "normal" or 72% - 74% until recently. In the past wide color gamut monitors (94% and higher) were geared towards some professional graphic monitors.

When wide color gamut was first introduced into general consumer LCD monitors some people thought the colors were "weird"; generally speaking they seemed to appear more greenish.

Wide color gamut is supposed to the follow the RGB color space model so that colors appears to be more accurate on screen. However, there is also a CMYK color model for printing which (to my understanding) differs slightly from the RGB model.
!