LG Flatron Wide 19" DEAD ?

Silencer23

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2008
Hello, My LG Flatron Wide 19" suddenly died on me, it's not getting any power at all, no LED's and no "no signal" message ..

To those of you who know electronics.. What causes a screen to not power up like that ? Is it usually a cheap fix in a lab ? Maybe some sort of fuse ?
I do remember that it the blue LED used to flicker for about 15 seconds coming out of standby .. You actually had to wait 15 seconds after you moved the mouse for some reason, maybe it relates.

Thanks for any ideas and experiences !

G

OK i hav the same problem n wat i did was grave my sisters hair drier n i heated the screen until it have really hot n i plug it in
n it did work i noe itz a stupid idea but it works

G

OK i hav the same problem n wat i did was grave my sisters hair drier n i heated the screen until it have really hot n i plug it in
n it did work i noe itz a stupid idea but it works

Was this a permanent solution or do you have to use the hair dryer each time you want to use it ?

G

The hair dryer idea may work with electronics where there's a dry solder joint. Heating the circuit board makes it expand slightly, reducing the gap in the join and restoring a connection. This used to happen with the circuit board in my water heater which is in a particularly exposed part of the house and would fail only on very cold days. Heating the room solved the problem until the weather got warmer.

More common in computer monitors is an issue with the quality of Chinese-made capacitors on the power supply board. These seem to fail routinely (perhaps due to inadequate heat ventilation in the monitor). Sometimes (but not always) the failed part is identifiable by leakage or bulging. Fortunately, replacement is simple and cheap if you have basic soldering skills.