Sign in with
Your question

Leadtek A400 GT Problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 7, 2005 3:52:52 AM

Hi all. First post here. Wondering if you fine folks can come up with any ideas for the problem I'm having.

First: System Specs
AMD 64 3200+
2x512MB DDR3200 system memory
ASUS K8VSE Deluxe mobo, 8xAGP@1.5V, VIA chipset, 800mhz FSB
--bios is the second to newest. Latest bios adds new CPU support.
350W power supply
200GB SATA HD

Next: The problem
I picked up one of the excellent Leadtek A400 GT cards based around the Nvidia GeForce 6800 GT chipset. Plugged it in. Card ran perfect for one day. Opened the case, closed the case (I swear I did nothing else while it was open, and I'm an IT professional so I think I know what I'm doing) now the card won't work right.
What I am seeing is white "snow" in the display at the most basic VGA level. During power up, in the bios screen, you name it. Windows graphics fails utterly unless I boot in safe mode. So, the raw graphic display is not working right.

Finally: Here is what I've done to resolve the problem.
1. I took the graphics card out and tried it in another machine. Same problem. ASUS mobo, Sempron 2400+, 512MB DDR 3200.
2. Plugged in my old AGP card (Radeon 9800 128MB) and everything was fine.
3. Took it to a local Hardware guy I know who determined the card was bad.
4. Shipped the card back to Newegg.com and (very quickly) received a replacement card. Plugged it in - same problem. Aaarrgghh.
5. Called Leadtek tech support and left a message. Received a reply to (a) try the card in another machine and (b) ensure the video card is the only item connected to the power supply from that connector. Having already done 'a' I tried 'b'. I swear it was better for a second, but no, still bad.
6. Bought a brand new 450W power supply and ran the dedicated VGA power supply cord to the GT card. Same problem.
7. ASUS stated their AGP slot only supports 1.5V cards, no 3.3V cards. The Leadtek homepage does not display this spec. However, I have found two posts on the internet with people using this card at 1.5V with no problems.

That's it folks. What in the world is going on?

Joker

More about : leadtek a400 problems

May 8, 2005 8:45:54 AM

ALL AGP8x cards support both 1.5v and 0.8v signals. Every single one.

You might have a damaged card. Or you might have had a bad power supply, which you swapped for a low quality power supply, having the same effect as putting an old engine in your car to replace the worn out engine...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 8, 2005 4:49:48 PM

Thank you for the reponse. Any opinion is welcome at this point.

<i>ALL AGP8x cards support both 1.5v and 0.8v signals. Every single one.</i>

I don't understand why ASUS made such a point of mentioning their AGP voltage support in their manual. Very pointedly stated the mobo only supports 1.5v cards not 3.3v cards. I've never heard of a big compatibility issue buying AGP cards and motherboards. Still, I had to eliminate the possibility while troubleshooting.

<i>You might have a damaged card.</i>

Actually, as I indicated in my post I shipped back the card for a replacement and that new card had the exact same performance issue. Very unlikely two cards have the same problem.

<i>Or you might have had a bad power supply, which you swapped for a low quality power supply, having the same effect as putting an old engine in your car to replace the worn out engine...</i>

I certainly considered the power supply as an issue. Although the card specs state a minimum 300W and I had a 350W, I bought a brand new, top of the line 450W and it made no difference.

Thanks again for the input. I am flashing the bios today (if the ASUS website is back up). That is my last option as I see it.

Joker
May 8, 2005 5:20:09 PM

Companies mention it to this day because some early cards were wired AGP2x but had the 4x key (so they fit into 4x slots). That was 4 or 5 years ago, and the cards were low end even then. Other AGP 1.0 (AGP2x, 3.3v) cards won't even FIT, as they don't have the AGP 2.0 (AGP4x, 1.5v) key.

A 4x/2x card works, because they have 1.5v/3.3v switching. Diamond had some cards that had to be jumpered for 1.5v, but nearly everything else switched automatically.

So if 4x/2x cards work, you know 8x/4x and 8x/4x/2x cards will also work. And the difference between an 8x/4x and an 8x/4x/2x card is the absence or presence of the 3.3v key notch: all 4x and 8x cards have the 1.5v key notch.

What this leaves you with is, if it fits it works, you're not going to find any of those early low-end cards anywhere as they were rare to begin with. Spread the word.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!