Should I buy a recertified HP?

Marksest

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Hi, I'm looking for a new computer and I came across this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883147066

I'm going to be using it for gaming and editing. Its an incredible deal for the price and its eligible for a windows 7 upgrade, but its recertified. I haven't been able to find any deals that compete with it and building it would cost at least $650 dollars. I plan on getting it with this graphics card and this PSU. Should I buy it? Its a very good deal but I'm hesitant because its recertified. Does anybody here have experience with recertified HP products? Should I buy a warranty with it or is buying the computer a bad idea? Thanks in advance.

Marksest

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

Thanks for the input, but I am hesitant to getting the warranty because I keep hearing stories about the manufacture taking 3 moths to repair a computer. Also, because I am modding it I'm scared that if I do have to send it back they will touch the modifications and screw them up or replace them with crappy stock parts or something.

TheViper

Distinguished
The alternative is buying a new unit or building one yourself (my recommendation for everyone just to gain the experience).

You have to accept the trade off of getting a good deal for having potential repair delays.

The good news is that not all repair needs actually necessitate that you to send it in and can be fixed from home with the help of some friendly guys on the Internet ;)

Marksest

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009

Yea, i guess. But does OnSite repair mean they're going to send some creepy Indian guy to my house? :eek: I'm quite sure I could make any repairs myself but I don't want to pay for new parts, especially the motherboard,which seems to be the only thing that needs to last considering I'm replacing everything else that usually breaks.

TheViper

Distinguished
You can replace the motherboard yourself as well if needed.

OnSite does mean they send a technician to your home but they don't say much about their ethnicity ;)

Service Net Recertified Desktop PC Onsite Extended Warranty Plan

Recertified desktops serviced via onsite repair or by authorized repair facility if applicable. All shipping charges are covered

* Mechanical failures are covered after manufacturer’s warranty expires
* Recertified desktop repairs are made onsite at your home or place of business
* If recertified desktop needs to be sent to an authorized repair facility, shipping costs are covered
* “No lemon” Policy – Your product will be replaced if a 4th repair is required on the same component
* Customer Support is available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year
* The Contract is fully transferable
* Coverage is provided by Service Net
* See Terms & Conditions for additional details of this plan

Marksest

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I'd be a lot easier to just call them up and tell them your mother board was "DOA" (lit it on fire) and they'd just send you a new motherboard or give you adequate money to buy one of equal value, though I'd prefer the first option because it requires less work.