Startup failure on Windows 7 machine?

chmcke01

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
We have about 60 of the same model computer and so we have an image we deploy if one goes down so we don't have to start from scratch. A machine went down and we replaced the motherboard but it will not boot from the image we have. It starts to boot, displays the swirly colors and then the Windows 7 logo and then it restarts.

We tried installing a fresh copy of Windows 7 and that works. Using the image that works in all of our other machines of the same model it tries to get us to do startup repair but it fails every time. Any ideas?

Solution
I would verify that all of the settings in the bios are the same as one that works.
I would also try installing the image with just one stick of ram; You may have to try with several sticks (one at a time) until you get one that works.

Also ensure that the bios is at the same version as all of the other systems.
I would verify that all of the settings in the bios are the same as one that works.
I would also try installing the image with just one stick of ram; You may have to try with several sticks (one at a time) until you get one that works.

Also ensure that the bios is at the same version as all of the other systems.

Solution

windryyder

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
We have one image that supports Dell computers ranging from laptops to desktops that are brand new to 7 or 8 years old all using one image. The techs who create the image for our hospital say they just have to add the additional drivers to the base image in order for it to work on the different computers so it should be possible to do this for your image as well. I have never had a chance to do this so I am not sure if there is more to it than that, but supposedly they say that is all they do when we get a new model computer. Once they add the drivers, they repackage the image and it is good to go.

I would verify what I mentioned above first; I worked in Desktop support for over 10 years and found what I mentiond above worked most of the time.

Right now, you're not sure if it is indeed a different motherboard chipset or not so you're barking-up the wrong tree before doing basic trouble-shooting first.

chmcke01

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
I plan to do that too, but I am not at work right now and I am the type of person who likes to bark up multiple trees at a time so if one doesn't work I am prepared to try something else.

chmcke01

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011

Thanks. It was weird though, the first thing we tried was to make sure all the settings in BIOS were correct, namely drive configuration and it still didn't work.

After confirming that it was the same motherboard we tried lots of other things and nothing worked. The next thing I tried was to reset BIOS settings to default and then set drive configuration settings (the same settings I tried first that didn't work). This time it worked perfectly.

Sometimes it just doesn't make any sense, lol. Anyway, thanks for all of the help.