Sign in with
Your question

USB woes.

Last response: in Components
May 7, 2005 6:18:38 PM

I originally posted this in the Windows XP board, but I've noticed further things that to me, seem it isn't XP's fault.

-----------
Recently I installed a better cooling fan system for my video card and ever since I've done this I've noticed a rather odd error.
Occasionally I'll get an error that tells me that a device on one of the USB Root hub's is not recognized and might be malfunctioning. This error pops up in my taskbar every now and then.

I've made it so they don't turn off to save power, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what the problem is. The only thing I've hooked up to any USB port is my optical mouse, which I've had for quite a while.
I checked the connectors to my motherboard and they're all properly connected. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the hubs as well, and that doesn't seem to do anything either.
-----------

Now. Later on I moved my mouse to another usb port, one that was on another usb root hub. I went to bed before really testing it. This morning I got up, and lo' and behold a new problem. Frequent crashing! I have to say I panicked for a few minutes.

Also. Let me explain the two crashes. The first, I was playing a game, when everything just up and locked on me. Had to hold the power button down to get it to turn off. The second crash was weirder. First the mouse stopped responding and the sound cut out, then the keyboard locked. Without either one working I had to press the power button again to get a reboot.

I panicked, like I said. But then remembered the last thing I did last night and moved my mouse back to the USB port where it was before I moved it. So far, about an hour or so, I've had no crashes on the game I play or at my desktop.

Anyone have any ideas what the heck is going on here? It sounds like when I was fiddling around in my computer something got messed up.

More about : usb woes

May 7, 2005 8:05:59 PM

What motherboard?
Have you tried the latest chipset drivers?
What service pack did you have installed?

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
May 7, 2005 8:13:46 PM

What do you mean by chipset drivers?

I've got an ASUS P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard, and my BIOS is fully updated.
Windows is currently at Service Pack 2.
May 7, 2005 10:24:46 PM

That would be the latest Intel INF drivers for the Intel chipset on that motherboard.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
!