Damn new hardware found....but what??

terry

Win XP Pro (sp2)
IE & OE 6
Creative cordless keyboard/mouse (drivers under HIC)..works ok.

I wish to install a wireless router kit to my desktop, but I wish to ensure
I have no USB device manager errors before I attempt it.

I am unable to solve my device manager showing an exclamation mark against
"USB CONTROLLER", under OTHER DEVICES.
I am unaware of any USB hardware not working correctly...IE printer, scanner
etc.

The only clue I may have is I have recently tried unsuccessfully to
re-install my USB card reader, which worked ok with Win98se, but I was
unable to "find" WinXP drivers, so I aborted further attempts. As far as I
am aware no trces of Card reader exists.

It would be a tremendous help if I new what the usb device was &
where.....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhh

TIA

Start by unplugging each USB device one by one until the exclamation mark
disappears.

"Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Win XP Pro (sp2)
> IE & OE 6
> Creative cordless keyboard/mouse (drivers under HIC)..works ok.
>
> I wish to install a wireless router kit to my desktop, but I wish to
> ensure
> I have no USB device manager errors before I attempt it.
>
> I am unable to solve my device manager showing an exclamation mark against
> "USB CONTROLLER", under OTHER DEVICES.
> I am unaware of any USB hardware not working correctly...IE printer,
> scanner
> etc.
>
> The only clue I may have is I have recently tried unsuccessfully to
> re-install my USB card reader, which worked ok with Win98se, but I was
> unable to "find" WinXP drivers, so I aborted further attempts. As far as I
> am aware no trces of Card reader exists.
>
> It would be a tremendous help if I new what the usb device was &
> where.....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhh
>
> TIA

terry

Thanks
I will feedback to group if OK!

Terry
"pcbutts1" <pcbutts1@seedsv.com> wrote in message
> Start by unplugging each USB device one by one until the exclamation mark
> disappears.

> "Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Win XP Pro (sp2)
> > IE & OE 6
> > Creative cordless keyboard/mouse (drivers under HIC)..works ok.
> >
> > I wish to install a wireless router kit to my desktop, but I wish to
> > ensure
> > I have no USB device manager errors before I attempt it.
> >
> > I am unable to solve my device manager showing an exclamation mark
against
> > "USB CONTROLLER", under OTHER DEVICES.
> > I am unaware of any USB hardware not working correctly...IE printer,
> > scanner
> > etc.
> >
> > The only clue I may have is I have recently tried unsuccessfully to
> > re-install my USB card reader, which worked ok with Win98se, but I was
> > unable to "find" WinXP drivers, so I aborted further attempts. As far as
> > am aware no trces of Card reader exists.
> >
> > It would be a tremendous help if I new what the usb device was &
> > where.....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhh
> >
> > TIA

"Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Win XP Pro (sp2)
> IE & OE 6
> Creative cordless keyboard/mouse (drivers under HIC)..works ok.
>
> I wish to install a wireless router kit to my desktop, but I wish to
> ensure
> I have no USB device manager errors before I attempt it.
>
> I am unable to solve my device manager showing an exclamation mark against
> "USB CONTROLLER", under OTHER DEVICES.
> I am unaware of any USB hardware not working correctly...IE printer,
> scanner
> etc.
>
> The only clue I may have is I have recently tried unsuccessfully to
> re-install my USB card reader, which worked ok with Win98se, but I was
> unable to "find" WinXP drivers, so I aborted further attempts. As far as I
> am aware no trces of Card reader exists.
>
> It would be a tremendous help if I new what the usb device was &
> where.....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhh
>
> TIA

Just delete it from the devices. If there is something there it will be
redetected.

terry

Thanks Alan

I have tried it but it keeps re-appearing!!

Terry
"Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message

> "Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Win XP Pro (sp2)
> > IE & OE 6
> > Creative cordless keyboard/mouse (drivers under HIC)..works ok.
> >
> > I wish to install a wireless router kit to my desktop, but I wish to
> > ensure
> > I have no USB device manager errors before I attempt it.
> >
> > I am unable to solve my device manager showing an exclamation mark
against
> > "USB CONTROLLER", under OTHER DEVICES.
> > I am unaware of any USB hardware not working correctly...IE printer,
> > scanner
> > etc.
> >
> > The only clue I may have is I have recently tried unsuccessfully to
> > re-install my USB card reader, which worked ok with Win98se, but I was
> > unable to "find" WinXP drivers, so I aborted further attempts. As far as
> > am aware no trces of Card reader exists.
> >
> > It would be a tremendous help if I new what the usb device was &
> > where.....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhh
> >
> > TIA
> >

> Just delete it from the devices. If there is something there it will be
> redetected.

Every USB device has a unique identifier called a VID. When
XP cannot find an .Inf match for the VID it should prompt you
for a driver. If you cancel, etc...then XP places the device in
the "Other" category. You need to go to Device Manager &
click View, tic "Show Hidden Devices". Expand the Universal
Serial Bus Controllers category. Go through the list and locate
any Phantoms (Shown as a light shade of Gray) and Uninstall
each phantom entry. You should also check the other device
categories Except System Devices, Non-Play and Play and the
Sound category for any Phantoms and remove those as well.

Afterwards download the latest Chipset Driver package for
your motherboard, install and reboot the PC.

> Thanks Alan
>
> I have tried it but it keeps re-appearing!!
>
> Terry
> "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
>>
>> "Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Win XP Pro (sp2)
>> > IE & OE 6
>> > Creative cordless keyboard/mouse (drivers under HIC)..works ok.
>> >
>> > I wish to install a wireless router kit to my desktop, but I wish to
>> > ensure
>> > I have no USB device manager errors before I attempt it.
>> >
>> > I am unable to solve my device manager showing an exclamation mark
> against
>> > "USB CONTROLLER", under OTHER DEVICES.
>> > I am unaware of any USB hardware not working correctly...IE printer,
>> > scanner
>> > etc.
>> >
>> > The only clue I may have is I have recently tried unsuccessfully to
>> > re-install my USB card reader, which worked ok with Win98se, but I was
>> > unable to "find" WinXP drivers, so I aborted further attempts. As far
>> > as
>> > am aware no trces of Card reader exists.
>> >
>> > It would be a tremendous help if I new what the usb device was &
>> > where.....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhh
>> >
>> > TIA
>> >

>> Just delete it from the devices. If there is something there it will be
>> redetected.

"> Terry
> "Alan Smith" <alan@hidden.email> wrote in message
>>
>> "Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Win XP Pro (sp2)
>> > IE & OE 6
>> > Creative cordless keyboard/mouse (drivers under HIC)..works ok.
>> >
>> > I wish to install a wireless router kit to my desktop, but I wish to
>> > ensure
>> > I have no USB device manager errors before I attempt it.
>> >
>> > I am unable to solve my device manager showing an exclamation mark
> against
>> > "USB CONTROLLER", under OTHER DEVICES.
>> > I am unaware of any USB hardware not working correctly...IE printer,
>> > scanner
>> > etc.
>> >
>> > The only clue I may have is I have recently tried unsuccessfully to
>> > re-install my USB card reader, which worked ok with Win98se, but I was
>> > unable to "find" WinXP drivers, so I aborted further attempts. As far
>> > as
>> > am aware no trces of Card reader exists.
>> >
>> > It would be a tremendous help if I new what the usb device was &
>> > where.....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrhh
>> >
>> > TIA
>> >

>> Just delete it from the devices. If there is something there it will be
>> redetected.
>>

>Terry" <terrybetts11138@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>news:dbtur9$s9h$1@nwrdmz03.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...> Thanks Alan
>
> I have tried it but it keeps re-appearing!!

Try to id the device as in the other answer.

Nightowl

Distinguished
May 17, 2001

Terry wrote on Sun, 24 Jul 2005:

>Downloaded Hyperion 4-in-1 driver .exe (1.36mb only tho'!!).maybe it was not
>the exact one??
>Intalled but Still the same old story...New hardware wizard...USB controller
>driver!!
>I have DISABLED in device manager for time being...leaving a red cross on
>"that" entry under other devices.
>I will not be attending my PC for a few days now.....
>Regards
>Terry

Terry, you could try this to see if there are any "phantom" devices
causing this to happen:

Open up a Command Prompt window and type:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 <enter>

start devmgmt.msc <enter>

You must keep this Command window open while you look in Device Manager,
otherwise the setting will be lost.

In Device Manager, on the View menu, check Show hidden devices. You
should now be able to see any extra entries or grayed-out "ghosts" of
hardware that is installed but not currently connected to the computer.

Hope this helps

--
Nightowl