I'm having problems with my audio. When I am playing music and using the PC
at the same time, the audio output distorts and breaks up. I have Windows XP
Home Edition and use Musicmatch for my mp3 files. My soundcard is
Turtlebeach Santa Cruz. My PC is a Sony PCV-RX560 with 512mb of RAM. Can
anyone suggest a fix/solution? Thank you.

Which PCI Slot is the card installed into ? Numbering schemes
vary, but Slot #1 is generally considered to be adjacent to the
AGP slot (Light Brown in color, shorter than White PCI connectors).

"abad0412" <abad0412@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having problems with my audio. When I am playing music and using the
> PC
> at the same time, the audio output distorts and breaks up. I have Windows
> XP
> Home Edition and use Musicmatch for my mp3 files. My soundcard is
> Turtlebeach Santa Cruz. My PC is a Sony PCV-RX560 with 512mb of RAM. Can
> anyone suggest a fix/solution? Thank you.

I don't think this is a PCI Slot issue since I did not have this problem
until recently but the card is in slot 1. Thank you.

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> Which PCI Slot is the card installed into ? Numbering schemes
> vary, but Slot #1 is generally considered to be adjacent to the
> AGP slot (Light Brown in color, shorter than White PCI connectors).
>
> "abad0412" <abad0412@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm having problems with my audio. When I am playing music and using the
> > PC
> > at the same time, the audio output distorts and breaks up. I have Windows
> > XP
> > Home Edition and use Musicmatch for my mp3 files. My soundcard is
> > Turtlebeach Santa Cruz. My PC is a Sony PCV-RX560 with 512mb of RAM. Can
> > anyone suggest a fix/solution? Thank you.

The reason I asked that question is that most motherboards only
provide 2 independent IRQ slots in them. Most recent PCI cards
can handle IRQ Sharing without any issues. You may be right if
this is a recent occurrence that didn't involve any hardware changes.
Anyway, I would run MSInfo32.Exe, Expand Hardware Res. &
then click into the IRQ mapping and see where your Turtle Beach
is assigned. If it isn't sharing an IRQ then that isn't likely your cause.

Have you checked for a MusicMatch update lately ? -or updated
any other multimedia type app that might have replaced or updated
any Codecs.

>I don't think this is a PCI Slot issue since I did not have this problem
> until recently but the card is in slot 1. Thank you.
>
> "R. McCarty" wrote:
>
>> Which PCI Slot is the card installed into ? Numbering schemes
>> vary, but Slot #1 is generally considered to be adjacent to the
>> AGP slot (Light Brown in color, shorter than White PCI connectors).
>>
>> "abad0412" <abad0412@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'm having problems with my audio. When I am playing music and using
>> > the
>> > PC
>> > at the same time, the audio output distorts and breaks up. I have
>> > Windows
>> > XP
>> > Home Edition and use Musicmatch for my mp3 files. My soundcard is
>> > Turtlebeach Santa Cruz. My PC is a Sony PCV-RX560 with 512mb of RAM.
>> > Can
>> > anyone suggest a fix/solution? Thank you.

I ran MSInfo32.exe. My Turtle Beach sound card is assigned to IRQ 22, but
Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System and NEC PCI to USB Open Host Controller are
also assigned to IRQ 22.

I've updated all my software and drivers. Thanks.

"R. McCarty" wrote:

> The reason I asked that question is that most motherboards only
> provide 2 independent IRQ slots in them. Most recent PCI cards
> can handle IRQ Sharing without any issues. You may be right if
> this is a recent occurrence that didn't involve any hardware changes.
> Anyway, I would run MSInfo32.Exe, Expand Hardware Res. &
> then click into the IRQ mapping and see where your Turtle Beach
> is assigned. If it isn't sharing an IRQ then that isn't likely your cause.
>
> Have you checked for a MusicMatch update lately ? -or updated
> any other multimedia type app that might have replaced or updated
> any Codecs.
>
> "abad0412" <abad0412@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I don't think this is a PCI Slot issue since I did not have this problem
> > until recently but the card is in slot 1. Thank you.
> >
> > "R. McCarty" wrote:
> >
> >> Which PCI Slot is the card installed into ? Numbering schemes
> >> vary, but Slot #1 is generally considered to be adjacent to the
> >> AGP slot (Light Brown in color, shorter than White PCI connectors).
> >>
> >> "abad0412" <abad0412@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

22 should be OK, as your Motherboard has an APIC which extends
normal IRQ mapping from 15 up to 23. However, IRQs have priority
and placing a Sound Card that high in the signaling tree may not be an
optimal setting. I would probably move the Sound card to Slot #2 or
Slot #5 which should give it an independent IRQ with a higher priority
such as 5 or 10.