numnutz

Distinguished
May 8, 2005
I don't know what else to do or where to go from here. First of all, I'm running Windows XP on an Athlon XP 2400+ on a biostar MB, 1Gb of PC3200 DDRram, 8Gb & 80Gb HDDs, HP dvd200i 2.4x dvd+r burner and an NEC ND3520 DL dvd+r burner...that being said, here's my story.

- I haven't had to need to burn anything in awhile until recently. I went to put a blank in the drive (dvd200i, I didn't get the NEC until later), fired up nero (upgraded to the working version for windows XP of course), started burning a dvd from the harddrive, instant read buffer overflow after a second. Just enough to ruin the disc.
- I shake my head and try it again. Same thing.
- I try and burning a CD instead of a DVD. Same thing.
- I try and flash the hardware. Same thing.
- I re-install the drivers. Same thing.
- I wipe the harddrive and do a clean install of Windows and Nero and all drivers. Same thing.
- Order a new DVD drive online. Install it. Same thing.
- Install all new IDE cables. Same thing.

I really really really don't know what else to do. When I reinstalled windows and installed the new drive, I opened the case, dusted everything carefully, and put in new IDE cables. Prior to getting the new drive, it was set up {IDE1 Master = 80Gb HDD} {IDE2 Master = HP dvd200i} {IDE2 Slave = 52x CD-ROM drive}. After I received it and rearranged everything, it was {IDE1 Master = 8Gb HDD} {IDE1 Slave = NEC ND3520 DL dvd+r burner} {IDE2 Master = 80Gb HDD} {IDE2 Slave = HP dvd200i}. Nothing I have done has yield any changes. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Check in your <b>Device Manager</b> (right-click My Computer, and choose <b><font color=red>manage</b></font color=red>) under <b>IDE ATA/ATAPI controller</b> (Primary/Secondary IDE chanel\Advanced settings)) because most likely your problem is caused by the drive(s) is not enabled DMA.

numnutz

Distinguished
May 8, 2005
yea...I tried that. I actually tried that before I posted last (I googled it and found those instructions). When I opened device manager, all I get under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controller" is "NVIDIA nForce IDE Controller", I can't find the advanced settings.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
hey what's up.. let me see if i can add some help.

the drive thats "faulty", did you try puttin it in a new system to see if maybe memory is an issue...?

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200

pat

Expert
yea...I tried that. I actually tried that before I posted last (I googled it and found those instructions). When I opened device manager, all I get under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controller" is "NVIDIA nForce IDE Controller", I can't find the advanced settings.

Dont right click on the "NVIDIA nForce IDE Controller" to get the properties options.. because that will open another windows with new tabs to check for each invidual channels properties and that could lead you to actually checking the DMA setting for each channels..

Experimenting and searching for new thing in your OS and computer is really dangerous...

<font color=red>Sig space for rent. make your offer.</font color=red>