Very Strange Results From WinXP Pro SP2 Backup

When I try to restore one file from a backup that was made a few hours ago
using the standard Backup included in WinXP Pro, the actual files (file
names) do NOT display in the expanded folders inside the Backup file. That
Backup file resides on a separate hard disk in this computer, not on a tape
or special backup device. I do not understand why the file names don't
display. When I open the backup file with Restore, ALL of the correct
folders appear. The backup file is a 459,739 kb file, so all of the correct
files must have been backed up. However, try as I may, I cannot get the
file names in that Backup file to appear in their respective folders when I
start the Restore function.

Why aren't the file names being displayed? More importantly, what do I need
to do to get them to display?

I shall greatly appreciate your help with this.
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith

You must open a backup file with the same program that created it. Choose
what you want to restore. Then use the programs restore option to perform
the restore. You can NOT browse into a backup file. It's just not built that
way. It can only be used by the program that created it.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

Are you following the procedure described here: "Use Backup to Restore Files and Folders on Your Computer in Windows XP" http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q309340?

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You must open a backup file with the same program that created it. Choose
> what you want to restore. Then use the programs restore option to perform
> the restore. You can NOT browse into a backup file. It's just not built
> that way. It can only be used by the program that created it.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> " AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> When I try to restore one file from a backup that was made a few hours
>> ago using the standard Backup included in WinXP Pro, the actual files
>> (file names) do NOT display in the expanded folders inside the Backup
>> file. That Backup file resides on a separate hard disk in this computer,
>> not on a tape or special backup device. I do not understand why the file
>> names don't display. When I open the backup file with Restore, ALL of
>> the correct folders appear. The backup file is a 459,739 kb file, so all
>> of the correct files must have been backed up. However, try as I may, I
>> cannot get the file names in that Backup file to appear in their
>> respective folders when I start the Restore function.
>>
>> Why aren't the file names being displayed? More importantly, what do I
>> need to do to get them to display?
>>
>> I shall greatly appreciate your help with this.
>> --
>> With kindest regards,
>>
>> Dick Smith

Hi, Richard!

I did not TRY to open the backup file with any other program. I made no
attempt to browse into it.

I tried to locate the files that WindowsXP Pro SP2's standard Backup/Restore
Utility backed up last night. The problem is that the Restore feature of
that utility would not list the names of the files that Backup backed up
(daily scheduled task.*)

* This scheduled task has been running unaltered for may months. As
recently as last month, I used the Backup/Restore Utility's Restore feature
to successfully restore a file that had been backed up the night before.
Restore listed the file names then. I don't understand why it doesn't list
them now.

Sorry if my original post was misleading. Please forgive...
--
With kindest regards,

Dick Smith

"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> You must open a backup file with the same program that created it. Choose
> what you want to restore. Then use the programs restore option to perform
> the restore. You can NOT browse into a backup file. It's just not built
> that way. It can only be used by the program that created it.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> " AA Smith" <SmithRMS@Comcast.net> wrote in message
>> When I try to restore one file from a backup that was made a few hours
>> ago using the standard Backup included in WinXP Pro, the actual files
>> (file names) do NOT display in the expanded folders inside the Backup
>> file. That Backup file resides on a separate hard disk in this computer,
>> not on a tape or special backup device. I do not understand why the file
>> names don't display. When I open the backup file with Restore, ALL of
>> the correct folders appear. The backup file is a 459,739 kb file, so all
>> of the correct files must have been backed up. However, try as I may, I
>> cannot get the file names in that Backup file to appear in their
>> respective folders when I start the Restore function.
>>
>> Why aren't the file names being displayed? More importantly, what do I
>> need to do to get them to display?
>>
>> I shall greatly appreciate your help with this.
>> --
>> With kindest regards,
>>
>> Dick Smith

Thanks, Jeff!