Your question
Solved

Installed new hard drive, Windows 7 won\'t boot on Laptop

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Windows 7
September 28, 2012 4:22:30 AM

First, the information as it is. I had a hard drive issue that I'm working on currently, trying to recover I suppose what is a crashed hard drive. There are tons of errors on it, but that's not the question I have right at the moment, but some background.

I have tried to reinstall Windows on a brand new 2.5" Seagate 500GB 7200rpm HDD. I formatted the drive using the windows 7 ultimate installer and booted it using a USB booter made from the windows 7 download tool.

When I booted it up and tried to get it going, it gave me a hardware error saying "Windows wasn't able to configure the hardware and try startup repair" or something to that effect. I read around and it said that since my BIOS says the HD is in raid configuration that it needed some Intel Raid driver, which I installed and tried running, but it didn't seem to work. It says now "windows cannot repair this computer automatically". The problem signature is as follows:

Problem Event Name StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 0
Problem Signature 05: External Media
Problem Signature 06: 01
Problem Signature 07: FailureDuringSetup
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

The PC's info is as follows:
Dell Precision M4500
Intel Core i7 Q820 @ 1.73 GHz
Video Controller: NVIDIA Quadro FX1800M GLM4

Primary HDD in the BIOS is recognized as 500GB
RAID is On as well.

Trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

If more info is needed, please let me know!

Thanks for any help. Like I said, I can't even boot into windows and have no way of getting in, so no start menu stuff...

More about : installed hard drive windows boot laptop

a b $ Windows 7
September 28, 2012 4:36:08 AM

Assuming you have two drives in the computer, did you remove the second drive before you attempted to install Windows? If you only have one drive, have you tried going into the BIOS and changing the RAID setting?
m
l
September 28, 2012 4:39:22 AM

I only have one drive (clean one) in it now since the first one was so slow that I couldn't do anything practical with it (about 5 mins to move the mouse across the screen, now I know how they feel with the Mars Rover...)

It was configured on RAID mode before, which is why I left it on... The options I have are :

Disabled
ATA
AHCI
RAID On

Which one should I choose then?

Thanks

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 2:40:51 PM

I suggest you try ACHI. Please let me know if that works.
October 12, 2012 12:18:33 AM

It worked, but I was looking to restore it to the RAID setting since that's what it had been at.
m
l
October 19, 2012 12:14:56 AM

Best answer selected by LastRaven.
m
l