USB RAID

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • NAS / RAID
  • USB
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
May 10, 2005 10:15:54 PM

I want to purchase two external USB drives and use them as Mirror 1 RAID. Basically, have an internal RAID USB card with USB connectors in the back of the computer. Simply connect the drives to the card, configure with software and BOOM! Got yourself to RAID 1. Anything like this exhist? Seems like there enclosures that you can install two drives and then the enclosure connects via USB. I just think it shouldn't cost $200 for something like this and I like the option of disconnecting one of the drives at any time to lend to someone. Any ideas on this?

More about : usb raid

May 12, 2005 7:32:37 AM

You might be able to do a Windows RAID with two standard separate drives.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 12, 2005 4:29:00 PM

While it may indeed be possible to use the Windows OS, with my personally HATED Dyanmic Disks, to achieve RAID using a USB interface I would recommend a different route.

I know there are several companies, actually I think just 3, that produce a produce like this but I could only find one immediately.

Adtron™ I35MB Diskpak™
(see the WEB Site at "Adtron.com")

This is a RAID solution that to the computer looks like a single IDE drive. I am not sure, but I don't see why this couldn't be put into a USB drive enclosure and made to work.

Just a thought.
Related resources
May 12, 2005 6:08:30 PM

Nah, this isn't going to work... Looks like I may need to go with the Windows XP software solution.
May 12, 2005 6:44:38 PM

If you have SATA ports available, maybe you can get an SATA dongle and attach external drives that way and use chipset raid.

Just a thought.

Mike.