Sign in with
Your question

Can I use a HDTV cable with an older TV?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Anonymous
January 23, 2010 8:11:24 PM

I purchased a cable over the internet that came with 5 plugs, presumably for HDTV, and now am trying to use it on a 10 yr old TV that has 3 plugs in the back (really, to hook up our wii). any way to make this work? I don't want to bother to return it, if I don't have to

More about : hdtv cable older

January 23, 2010 11:23:53 PM

Could you post a link to the cable that you bought?
What 3 plugs are on the back of the TV? Are they 3 RCA plugs red, white and yellow?
m
l
January 24, 2010 12:39:48 AM

Quote:
I purchased a cable over the internet that came with 5 plugs, presumably for HDTV, .... (really, to hook up our wii). any way to make this work?

If this is something like you bought Wii HD video cable then that is a component setup. Red Green and Blue for video and the Red and White for audio. You need to have a red, green and blue video input and red and white audio input on the back of your TV.

If the inputs on the back of your TV are Yellow, Red and White only, as I presume, then you have composite inputs and the above component cable will not work and hate to say you bought the wrong cable. Hopefully it was not too expensive.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
January 24, 2010 2:07:05 AM

Supe_ said:
Could you post a link to the cable that you bought?
What 3 plugs are on the back of the TV? Are they 3 RCA plugs red, white and yellow?

yes, they are red white and yellow
m
l
January 24, 2010 2:58:26 PM

Then please see my post above yours. You have the wrong cable. Sorry.

EDIT: Didn't the Wii come with a set of composite cables?
m
l
Anonymous
January 24, 2010 4:55:09 PM

s, the wii came with the right set of cables; I bought a second set of cables, so I could hook up the wii console in the basement some times without having to un-hook all of the cables attached to our family room tv.
m
l
!