battery is recognized by windows but suddenly won't work

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

The battery on my Windows XP A21m Thinkpad had been working normally
and was not near the end of its life, but now will not power the
computer when it is unplugged from AC power.

The battery meter shows up on my quick launch toolbar and is recognized
by windows, at 97% charged. If I remove the battery while the computer
is on and plugged in, windows recognizes this action and the battery
icon disappears.

So what could be the problem here?

The problem happened suddenly about a week ago and has not gone away.

Thank you.
3 answers Last reply
More about battery recognized windows suddenly work
  1. Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    alegremente@yahoo.com wrote:

    > The battery on my Windows XP A21m Thinkpad had been working normally
    > and was not near the end of its life, but now will not power the
    > computer when it is unplugged from AC power.
    >
    > The battery meter shows up on my quick launch toolbar and is recognized
    > by windows, at 97% charged. If I remove the battery while the computer
    > is on and plugged in, windows recognizes this action and the battery
    > icon disappears.
    >
    > So what could be the problem here?
    >
    > The problem happened suddenly about a week ago and has not gone away.
    >
    > Thank you.

    The problem is due to one of 2 things...the battery is dying,
    i.e., not delivering the rated power, even though it shows
    holding a charge or the physical connection between the battery
    and the Thinkpad is damaged. More likely the former.
  2. Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    <alegremente@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > The battery on my Windows XP A21m Thinkpad had been working normally
    > and was not near the end of its life, but now will not power the
    > computer when it is unplugged from AC power.
    >
    > The battery meter shows up on my quick launch toolbar and is recognized
    > by windows, at 97% charged. If I remove the battery while the computer
    > is on and plugged in, windows recognizes this action and the battery
    > icon disappears.
    >
    > So what could be the problem here?
    >
    > The problem happened suddenly about a week ago and has not gone away.
    >
    > Thank you.

    It is likely the battery. The way the notebook circuit reads the level of
    charge is by looking at the voltage and or the current draw the charger is
    supplying. If the battery is not taking the current or simply reads high
    under no load the meter is incapable of figuring out the battery is bad.
    Putting the battery under load (running the notebook on battery) will yield
    the true state of the battery. If it isn't working, then likely it is bad.
    (The other possibility is that somewhere in the battery to load circuit
    there lives a high resistance. For that you would need to take it to
    someone with knowledge of how to troubleshoot the circuit.)
  3. Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    alegremente@yahoo.com wrote:
    > The battery on my Windows XP A21m Thinkpad had been working normally
    > and was not near the end of its life, but now will not power the
    > computer when it is unplugged from AC power.
    >
    > The battery meter shows up on my quick launch toolbar and is recognized
    > by windows, at 97% charged. If I remove the battery while the computer
    > is on and plugged in, windows recognizes this action and the battery
    > icon disappears.
    >
    > So what could be the problem here?

    Either a defective battery, a defective power supply, or defective
    circuitry between the two. Contact IBM for warranty support.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm