Alienware m9700 forums

Hello,

Can anybody help I have an alienware aurora M9700 which came with vista home premium ( which I hate won't run older games.) I asked alienware support what I needed to do to install Xp pro sp2 on a new hard drive.They said I need to change some bios settings and won't tell me what because I bought the system second hand. They said I could call dell presto to get help with the install but when I looked they want to charge me for thier help.
So before I go there is any body able to help me.
any help much appreciated.

Steve

ps sent a email to alienware pr and told them what I thought of their customer support.
5 answers Last reply
More about alienware m9700 forums
  1. Hello and welcome to the forums :)
    Why can't u install another OS ? what error it reports ?
    Also which games do u play ? since most games run well under compatibility mode,also they may have patches too
  2. Maziar said:
    Hello and welcome to the forums :)
    Why can't u install another OS ? what error it reports ?
    Also which games do u play ? since most games run well under compatibility mode,also they may have patches too

Hi Maziar,

I did install OS xp pro sp3 from a recovery disc just to to try till I get xp pro full sp2 delivered,
    it seem to install fine even knew I had 250gb sata drive. But when I try to install the drivers that xp did not install I get the following. message
    InstallShield Wizard
    Setup has experienced an error.
    Please do the following:
    - Close any running applications
    - Empty your temporary folder
    - Check your Internet connection (Internet-based Setup)
    Then try to run the Setup again.
    Error code: -6003
    I am not connected to the internet on the M9700 and I cannot find installshield folders or files anywhere on my M9700. The games I want to run do have problems with vista even when patched that is why I want to install xp pro.
    Also the company I got the drivers from sent me a diagnostic program so if I wanted they whould customize a self install driver disc for me. But this exe program would not work on the m9700 a black window appears for about a second then nothing does the same when I put the vista drive back in. But works on my desktop computer.
    Sorry to be so long winded.

sbrobbs
  3. Try with SP2 and check whether its the same or not
  4. Hi Maziar,

Finally got xp pro sp2 did a clean install but still the same problems installshield error 6003 etc.

sbrobbs
  5. I work on one of thoughs last year. I had to move the bios back wards so the vidio card would run cooler.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows Vista Alienware Laptops