Upgrade reinstall question please

July 23, 2005 8:18:33 PM

I believe I understand this from previous posts but I have one additional
question please. I am currently running XP Pro SP1 (upgrade). I now have XP
Pro SP2 (also the upgrade version) (both XPs legal). My machine originally
came with Windows ME and was upgraded from there. I want to reformat my
drive an install XP SP2 without first installing ME then upgrading from
there. My ME disc is OEM. How do I go about this since my original is OEM
and not standalone and I am not currently running ME now? I hope this was
clear.
--
Thanks in advance... Bob
Anonymous

If you have the actual Windows ME CD (even though it's OEM) it should be
usable as an upgrade path. If all you have is an OEM recovery CD (an image
of the installed O/S) then you will need to install ME first. Then you can
upgrade to Windows XP.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
>I believe I understand this from previous posts but I have one additional
>question please. I am currently running XP Pro SP1 (upgrade). I now have
>XP Pro SP2 (also the upgrade version) (both XPs legal). My machine
>originally came with Windows ME and was upgraded from there. I want to
>reformat my drive an install XP SP2 without first installing ME then
>upgrading from there. My ME disc is OEM. How do I go about this since my
>original is OEM and not standalone and I am not currently running ME now?
>I hope this was clear.
> --
> Thanks in advance... Bob

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 12:57:45 AM

I was afraid of that. There is no way it can verify from the current
installed version of XP?

Bob
"Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> If you have the actual Windows ME CD (even though it's OEM) it should be
> usable as an upgrade path. If all you have is an OEM recovery CD (an image
> of the installed O/S) then you will need to install ME first. Then you can
> upgrade to Windows XP.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from: George Ankner
>
> "Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
>>I believe I understand this from previous posts but I have one additional
>>question please. I am currently running XP Pro SP1 (upgrade). I now have
>>XP Pro SP2 (also the upgrade version) (both XPs legal). My machine
>>originally came with Windows ME and was upgraded from there. I want to
>>reformat my drive an install XP SP2 without first installing ME then
>>upgrading from there. My ME disc is OEM. How do I go about this since my
>>original is OEM and not standalone and I am not currently running ME now?
>>I hope this was clear.
>> --
>> Thanks in advance... Bob

July 24, 2005 1:14:07 PM

Can I use an old Win 98 upgrade disk can I use that or would it have to be a
full version?

Bob

"Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
news:D IBEe.47863$up5.7757@lakeread02...
>I was afraid of that. There is no way it can verify from the current
>installed version of XP?
>
> Bob
> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
> message news:eMIODi8jFHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> If you have the actual Windows ME CD (even though it's OEM) it should be
>> usable as an upgrade path. If all you have is an OEM recovery CD (an
>> image of the installed O/S) then you will need to install ME first. Then
>> you can upgrade to Windows XP.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from: George Ankner
>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>
>> "Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
>>>I believe I understand this from previous posts but I have one additional
>>>question please. I am currently running XP Pro SP1 (upgrade). I now have
>>>XP Pro SP2 (also the upgrade version) (both XPs legal). My machine
>>>originally came with Windows ME and was upgraded from there. I want to
>>>reformat my drive an install XP SP2 without first installing ME then
>>>upgrading from there. My ME disc is OEM. How do I go about this since
>>>my original is OEM and not standalone and I am not currently running ME
>>>now? I hope this was clear.
>>> --
>>> Thanks in advance... Bob

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 1:23:58 PM

The Win98 upgrade CD will work as well.

--

> Can I use an old Win 98 upgrade disk can I use that or would it have to be
> a full version?
>
> Bob
>
> "Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
> news:D IBEe.47863$up5.7757@lakeread02...
>>I was afraid of that. There is no way it can verify from the current
>>installed version of XP?
>>
>> Bob
>> "Richard Urban [MVP]" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
>> message news:eMIODi8jFHA.2920@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>>> If you have the actual Windows ME CD (even though it's OEM) it should be
>>> usable as an upgrade path. If all you have is an OEM recovery CD (an
>>> image of the installed O/S) then you will need to install ME first. Then
>>> you can upgrade to Windows XP.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Richard Urban
>>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>>
>>> Quote from: George Ankner
>>> "If you knew as much as you thought you know,
>>> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!"
>>>
>>> "Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:10:04 PM

Grrreat!