They're sorry for the inconvenience

I am running a Dell 4600 Dimension with Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 512MB ram, Intel
865G chipset. Lately, I have been getting error messages that state that
Program<X> has to close, and that Windows is sorry for the inconvenience, and
would I want to send a report to Microsoft? These occur at random, even at
times when I have more than 100MB of memory left. Is there any one item that
I should be looking at in order to track down this problem? Thanks for any
help.
Ron
9 answers Last reply
More about they inconvenience

    Loanarranger wrote:
    > I am running a Dell 4600 Dimension with Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 512MB ram, Intel
    > 865G chipset. Lately, I have been getting error messages that state that
    > Program<X> has to close, and that Windows is sorry for the inconvenience, and
    > would I want to send a report to Microsoft? These occur at random, even at
    > times when I have more than 100MB of memory left. Is there any one item that
    > I should be looking at in order to track down this problem? Thanks for any
    > help.
    > Ron

    you may want to run a memory test...
    though 512megs of RAM is sufficient...it may be defective

    Hello,

    Which program actually crashes ? You will have to make sure that the program is compatible under
    windows xp. This might be a problem with the specific program and not neccessarily Windows XP and/or
    the hardware that you have.

    --

    Anando
    Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

    In memory of Alex Nichol

    Folder customizations
    http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

    Protect your PC!
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    "Loanarranger" <Loanarranger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running a Dell 4600 Dimension with Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 512MB ram, Intel
    > 865G chipset. Lately, I have been getting error messages that state that
    > Program<X> has to close, and that Windows is sorry for the inconvenience, and
    > would I want to send a report to Microsoft? These occur at random, even at
    > times when I have more than 100MB of memory left. Is there any one item that
    > I should be looking at in order to track down this problem? Thanks for any
    > help.
    > Ron

    Thanks, philo
    I'm not sure whether my BIOS runs a memory test on bootup, but I will try to
    find some way to check it (any suggestions?). Hehe.

    "philo" wrote:

    > Loanarranger wrote:
    > > I am running a Dell 4600 Dimension with Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 512MB ram, Intel
    > > 865G chipset. Lately, I have been getting error messages that state that
    > > Program<X> has to close, and that Windows is sorry for the inconvenience, and
    > > would I want to send a report to Microsoft? These occur at random, even at
    > > times when I have more than 100MB of memory left. Is there any one item that
    > > I should be looking at in order to track down this problem? Thanks for any
    > > help.
    > > Ron
    >

    > you may want to run a memory test...
    > though 512megs of RAM is sufficient...it may be defective

    Yes, Anando, I thought as you did, however, several programs have experienced
    this problem, and there seems to be no common element. They are showing as
    compatible. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Ron

    "Anando [MS-MVP]" wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > Which program actually crashes ? You will have to make sure that the program is compatible under
    > windows xp. This might be a problem with the specific program and not neccessarily Windows XP and/or
    > the hardware that you have.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Anando
    > Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    > http://www.mvps.org
    >
    > In memory of Alex Nichol
    >
    > Folder customizations
    > http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku
    >
    > Protect your PC!
    > http://www.microsoft.com/protect
    >

    > "Loanarranger" <Loanarranger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I am running a Dell 4600 Dimension with Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 512MB ram, Intel
    > > 865G chipset. Lately, I have been getting error messages that state that
    > > Program<X> has to close, and that Windows is sorry for the inconvenience, and
    > > would I want to send a report to Microsoft? These occur at random, even at
    > > times when I have more than 100MB of memory left. Is there any one item that
    > > I should be looking at in order to track down this problem? Thanks for any
    > > help.
    > > Ron

    "Loanarranger" <Loanarranger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I am running a Dell 4600 Dimension with Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 512MB ram, Intel
    > 865G chipset. Lately, I have been getting error messages that state that
    > Program<X> has to close, and that Windows is sorry for the inconvenience,
    > and
    > would I want to send a report to Microsoft? These occur at random, even at
    > times when I have more than 100MB of memory left. Is there any one item
    > that
    > I should be looking at in order to track down this problem? Thanks for any
    > help.
    > Ron

    You'll need to get more details than that. One program? Have you just
    installed that unnamed program? Is it happening to all of the programs or
    just one? Try and see if it is after a certain amount of time from switching
    the computer on or from starting the program? (I know you say random but try
    and consider it in relation to those events to see if there is a pattern).
    Any recent changes to your system like just upgraded to SP2 and it's
    started? Have you got an updated antivirus program and scanned? Have you got
    updated antispyware software and scanned?

    Alan,
    In reference to your points,
    This problem affects several programs, some of which are relatively new to
    my system, and some of which have been installed for quite some time. I will
    try and time the event with respect to system startup and program startup.
    My system came with Windows XP Home Edition SP2. I have the McAfee suite
    installed and running, updated almost daily. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll
    check out that timing thing.
    Ron

    www.memtest86.org

    > Thanks, philo
    > I'm not sure whether my BIOS runs a memory test on bootup, but I will try
    > find some way to check it (any suggestions?). Hehe.
    >
    > "philo" wrote:
    >
    >> Loanarranger wrote:
    >> > I am running a Dell 4600 Dimension with Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 512MB ram,
    >> > Intel
    >> > 865G chipset. Lately, I have been getting error messages that state
    >> > that
    >> > Program<X> has to close, and that Windows is sorry for the
    >> > inconvenience, and
    >> > would I want to send a report to Microsoft? These occur at random, even
    >> > at
    >> > times when I have more than 100MB of memory left. Is there any one item
    >> > that
    >> > I should be looking at in order to track down this problem? Thanks for
    >> > any
    >> > help.
    >> > Ron
    >>

    >> you may want to run a memory test...
    >> though 512megs of RAM is sufficient...it may be defective

    Are you using battery back ups (UPS)? If no, you may have some
    file corruption from dirty power _surges/brownouts_.

    > Alan,
    > In reference to your points,
    > This problem affects several programs, some of which are relatively new to
    > my system, and some of which have been installed for quite some time. I
    > will
    > try and time the event with respect to system startup and program startup.
    > My system came with Windows XP Home Edition SP2. I have the McAfee suite
    > installed and running, updated almost daily. Thanks for the suggestions.
    > I'll
    > check out that timing thing.
    > Ron
    >
    > "Alan Smith" wrote:
    >

    >> "Loanarranger" <Loanarranger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am running a Dell 4600 Dimension with Pentium 4 2.8GHz, 512MB ram,
    >> >Intel
    >> > 865G chipset. Lately, I have been getting error messages that state
    >> > that
    >> > Program<X> has to close, and that Windows is sorry for the
    >> > inconvenience,
    >> > and
    >> > would I want to send a report to Microsoft? These occur at random, even
    >> > at
    >> > times when I have more than 100MB of memory left. Is there any one item
    >> > that
    >> > I should be looking at in order to track down this problem? Thanks for
    >> > any
    >> > help.
    >> > Ron
    >>
    >> You'll need to get more details than that. One program? Have you just
    >> installed that unnamed program? Is it happening to all of the programs or
    >> just one? Try and see if it is after a certain amount of time from
    >> switching
    >> the computer on or from starting the program? (I know you say random but
    >> try
    >> and consider it in relation to those events to see if there is a
    >> pattern).
    >> Any recent changes to your system like just upgraded to SP2 and it's
    >> started? Have you got an updated antivirus program and scanned? Have you
    >> got
    >> updated antispyware software and scanned?

    Sorry Frank, I have only city power, and as luck would have it, everything's
    running perfectly since a couple of days ago. Now when I need things to fail,
    naturally they won't, but when they do, I'm going to collect data on the
    timing of things. In the meantime, do you know of a good memory testing
    software? Thanks, again.
    Ron

Microsoft Windows XP