XP doesn't work after system reset

I have developed a very strange problem on my PC, everytime I have to press
the reset button on my case, or there's a power cut when Windows reboots, it
will boot to the desktop fine and I can move my mouse but no windows, no
programs or anything will open.

This problem is driving me insanse, the only way I can get windows working
again is to do a system restore to the a point before I pressed the reset
button.

I recently reformatted my drive and re-installed to overcome this problem
but it hasn't. It was the same with SP1 and SP2, I've had this machine(a64
3000+, 1gb RAMM) for well over a year and this problem only developed in the
last couple months.

Can anyone please help? I can't believe a reformat didn't fix the problem,
although I did choose the quick format option and when I installed a program
I had on before hand, it said was 'trial was up' which makes me think I
didn't fully erase all of the old files. Although everything seems brand
new, I had to re-activate too.
2 answers Last reply
More about doesn work system reset

    On rare occasion I have seen this when the power supply is acting flakey or
    just about to fail. Try a different power supply, maybe one with more watts
    IE 450, etc.

    If that didn't help or resolve the situation, then it is process of
    elimination. It could be memory as well. I had a situation where memory
    failures ere causing all kinds of weird problems. Also, graphics drivers,
    make sure you have the latest.

    The problem is that we all don't have all these parts lying around to test
    with.

    Hope this helps.

    "mark" <mark@localhost.net> wrote in message
    >I have developed a very strange problem on my PC, everytime I have to press
    >the reset button on my case, or there's a power cut when Windows reboots,
    >it will boot to the desktop fine and I can move my mouse but no windows, no
    >programs or anything will open.
    >
    > This problem is driving me insanse, the only way I can get windows working
    > again is to do a system restore to the a point before I pressed the reset
    > button.
    >
    > I recently reformatted my drive and re-installed to overcome this problem
    > but it hasn't. It was the same with SP1 and SP2, I've had this machine(a64
    > 3000+, 1gb RAMM) for well over a year and this problem only developed in
    > the last couple months.
    >
    > Can anyone please help? I can't believe a reformat didn't fix the problem,
    > although I did choose the quick format option and when I installed a
    > program I had on before hand, it said was 'trial was up' which makes me
    > think I didn't fully erase all of the old files. Although everything seems
    > brand new, I had to re-activate too.

    "mark" <mark@localhost.net> wrote:

    >I have developed a very strange problem on my PC, everytime I have to press
    >the reset button on my case, or there's a power cut when Windows reboots, it
    >will boot to the desktop fine and I can move my mouse but no windows, no
    >programs or anything will open.
    >
    >This problem is driving me insanse, the only way I can get windows working
    >again is to do a system restore to the a point before I pressed the reset
    >button.
    >
    >I recently reformatted my drive and re-installed to overcome this problem
    >but it hasn't. It was the same with SP1 and SP2, I've had this machine(a64
    >3000+, 1gb RAMM) for well over a year and this problem only developed in the
    >last couple months.
    >
    >Can anyone please help? I can't believe a reformat didn't fix the problem,
    >although I did choose the quick format option and when I installed a program
    >I had on before hand, it said was 'trial was up' which makes me think I
    >didn't fully erase all of the old files. Although everything seems brand
    >new, I had to re-activate too.

    When that happens try totally powering off the machine by unplugging
    the power cable. That should reset the BIOS to a totally "cold"
    state and allow it to start up.

    If doing that does resolve the problem then you have a problem with
    either the BIOS configuration (check the Power Management settings,
    try restoring them to factory defaults) or with the computer hardware
    itself (motherboard or power supply)

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --