Can Ping a IP address, but can find the Computer Name

This is really weird. I am on one machine that can find the other by IP
Address, but not by the Computer Name. On both machines, I have done an
ipconfig /flushdns and a ipconfig /registerdns.

I am still having problems..

Any ideas?

Malke

SQLNow wrote:

> This is really weird. I am on one machine that can find the other by
> IP
> Address, but not by the Computer Name. On both machines, I have done
> an
> ipconfig /flushdns and a ipconfig /registerdns.
>
> I am still having problems..
>
> Any ideas?

Sounds like your DNS settings are incorrect. What are you using for DNS
servers?

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

Hi Malke,

I can get out to the internet just any www name. My ISP DNS works fine.
The problem is when I try to access another internal machine. It has
something to do with this specific machine, because on other machines I can
see or browse by the computer name.

My virus protection cropped up with a virus in a file which it quarantined.
I read somewhere on the net that sometimes spyware and a possible virus will
corrupt the Winsock entries in the registry.

Is there some utility that will remove and reset the registry and restore
Winsock programs and settings back to normal?

Thanks!

"Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
> SQLNow wrote:
>
>> This is really weird. I am on one machine that can find the other by
>> IP
>> Address, but not by the Computer Name. On both machines, I have done
>> an
>> ipconfig /flushdns and a ipconfig /registerdns.
>>
>> I am still having problems..
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> Sounds like your DNS settings are incorrect. What are you using for DNS
> servers?
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

SQLNow wrote:

> Hi Malke,
>
> I can get out to the internet just any www name. My ISP DNS works
> fine.
> The problem is when I try to access another internal machine. It has
> something to do with this specific machine, because on other machines
> I can see or browse by the computer name.
>
> My virus protection cropped up with a virus in a file which it
> quarantined. I read somewhere on the net that sometimes spyware and a
> possible virus will corrupt the Winsock entries in the registry.
>
> Is there some utility that will remove and reset the registry and
> restore Winsock programs and settings back to normal?
>
> Thanks!

Yes, if you're quite sure the machine is clean. Here are some malware
removal steps Just In Case:

To reset the Winsock2 in XP pre-SP2, get WinsockXPfix here:

If you have SP2, do:

Start>Run cmd [enter]
netsh winsock reset catalog [enter]
Follow prompts and reboot.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"

Malke,

I did all the items as you suggested.

I am still having the same problem:

It cannot find the host. I just pinged the name from another machine on the
network, and it found it.

Any other ideas on how to resolve the problem?

> SQLNow wrote:
>
>> Hi Malke,
>>
>> I can get out to the internet just any www name. My ISP DNS works
>> fine.
>> The problem is when I try to access another internal machine. It has
>> something to do with this specific machine, because on other machines
>> I can see or browse by the computer name.
>>
>> My virus protection cropped up with a virus in a file which it
>> quarantined. I read somewhere on the net that sometimes spyware and a
>> possible virus will corrupt the Winsock entries in the registry.
>>
>> Is there some utility that will remove and reset the registry and
>> restore Winsock programs and settings back to normal?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
> Yes, if you're quite sure the machine is clean. Here are some malware
> removal steps Just In Case:
>
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware
>
> To reset the Winsock2 in XP pre-SP2, get WinsockXPfix here:
>
> http://www.spychecker.com/program/winsockxpfix.html
>
> If you have SP2, do:
>
> Start>Run cmd [enter]
> netsh winsock reset catalog [enter]
> Follow prompts and reboot.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Malke

SQLNow wrote:

> Malke,
>
> I did all the items as you suggested.
>
> I am still having the same problem:
>
> It cannot find the host. I just pinged the name from another machine
> on the network, and it found it.
>
> Any other ideas on how to resolve the problem?
>
> Thanks!
>
> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
>> SQLNow wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Malke,
>>>
>>> I can get out to the internet just any www name. My ISP DNS works
>>> fine.
>>> The problem is when I try to access another internal machine. It
>>> has something to do with this specific machine, because on other
>>> machines I can see or browse by the computer name.
>>>
>>> My virus protection cropped up with a virus in a file which it
>>> quarantined. I read somewhere on the net that sometimes spyware and
>>> a possible virus will corrupt the Winsock entries in the registry.
>>>
>>> Is there some utility that will remove and reset the registry and
>>> restore Winsock programs and settings back to normal?

Is the name under 12 characters long with no spaces?

Other than that, I really don't know. You can try posting your question
in the microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web group. The regulars there
are very knowledgeable and will probably know right away what is wrong.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic"

Yes, the two other computers on my network are able to ping it by name.

This is weird. The internet connectivity is fine.

All the Winsock fix does is the netsh winsock reset. I have done that
already.

I'll post it in other forums as well.

> SQLNow wrote:
>
>> Malke,
>>
>> I did all the items as you suggested.
>>
>> I am still having the same problem:
>>
>> It cannot find the host. I just pinged the name from another machine
>> on the network, and it found it.
>>
>> Any other ideas on how to resolve the problem?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message

> Is the name under 12 characters long with no spaces?
>
> Other than that, I really don't know. You can try posting your question
> in the microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web group. The regulars there
> are very knowledgeable and will probably know right away what is wrong.
>
> Malke
> --
> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic"

Correction : netsh winsock reset catalog I'll try that one more time..

Other than that maybe running some more spyware utilities..

Take care!