Closed

How to reformat lapatop due to virus

Last response: in Computer Brands
Anonymous
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
February 25, 2010 1:35:29 PM

Hello,
my laptop is ivaded by virus and the security tool keep on bugging me to buy the anti virus.how can i re format the laptop
a b α HP
a c 572 D Laptop
February 25, 2010 2:24:56 PM

The 'security tool' IS the malware.
Do you want to reformat the laptop harddrive just to get rid of a virus infection?

Download and run the free version of SuperAntiSpyware first.

Score
February 25, 2010 6:06:49 PM

You have an HP laptop?

Is you data backed up on external media?

If yes to both the above, then its simply worth doing a "system recovery".

1. Switch laptop on
2. Immediately tap the F11 key until the HP logo disappears. This will enter system recovery mode.
3. Wait for the recovery console to load
4. When asked if you want to run a Microsoft System Restore click NO
5. You will then be asked if you want to run a System Recovery... click yes.

Allow recovery to run. Computer will restart after recovery is complete. You may have to click finish.
Your laptop will then do the first time setup of Windows again, just like when you bought it.

Hope this helps.
Score
Related resources
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
February 27, 2010 1:09:31 AM

Boot into safe mode with networking (tap f8 on startup). Download, install, and update malwarebytes. Do a full system scan.
http://www.malwarebytes.org/
Score
March 1, 2010 7:14:44 AM

I've had this same problem.
Sometimes system recovery will read
"Your system cannot be successfully restored to (date chosen)"
in that case I booted into safe mode.
If you do system restore in safe mode it may just fix the problem.
That is what I had to do.
I have had to deal with that ' Virus Subscription Service' attack more than once.
Best advice I can give you is if it Ever pops up on the screen again.
Stop, Get up. Pull the plug.
Don't shut down whatever you do that only saves the problem
I've been able to thwart the virus a couple of times by killing the power immediately
(either by power switch on the powersupply or the powerstrip)
Good Luck.
Score
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
March 1, 2010 10:53:12 AM

The only thing pulling the plug will do, is fragment your hard drive.

The best thing to do, is shut down the system correctly, and run a scan in safe mode with networking.
Score
March 1, 2010 7:47:22 PM

aford10 said:
The only thing pulling the plug will do, is fragment your hard drive.

The best thing to do, is shut down the system correctly, and run a scan in safe mode with networking.

Really?
OK.
Guess what.
Last night while I was searching for information on a speaker cabinet..
wham!!
the 'Antivirus Software' attack came up.
I did just what I had recommended and I had no problem.
(If prompted on the boot-up, Start Windows Normally)
If you think your answer is better, then that might just work for you.
Go ahead and shut it down and do a full scan.
If that's your advice then be prepared to understand why you:
*Won't be able to connect to the internet/It takes control of your ethernet port
*No programs will work properly/ Try loading one and see what happens
*You cannot access Windows Update/ page cannot be found
*Your computer will basically reject any command given
*Virus software may double its icon in the tray window but is completely useless

I can't tell you how many people I have helped get this virus off their machine
and I feel for the fools I see at any PC repair shop go on about it and then pay someone to do it.
It's OK though. I don't offer help to them
and I really don't know why I waste my time here.

Defragmenting a HDD is easy. Easier than fighting a virus, and by the way my HDD had 0% fragmentation afterwards so that comment doesn't hold water.
Score
a b α HP
a b D Laptop
March 1, 2010 8:03:44 PM

magneezo said:
Really?
OK.
Guess what.
Last night while I was searching for information on a speaker cabinet..
wham!!
the 'Antivirus Software' attack came up.
I did just what I had recommended and I had no problem.
If you think your answer is better, then that might just work for you.
Go ahead and shut it down and do a full scan.
If that's your advice then be prepared to understand why you:
*Won't be able to connect to the internet/It takes control of your ethernet port
*No programs will work properly/ Try loading one and see what happens
*You cannot access Windows Update/ page cannot be found
*Your computer will basically reject any command given

I can't tell you how many people I have helped get this virus off their machine
and I feel for the fools I see at any PC repair shop go on about it and then pay someone to do it.
It's OK though. I don't offer help to them
and I really don't know why I waste my time here.
You people think you know it all anyhow.

If you can't handle it, you don't have to post here. This site is dedicated to providing information and correcting disinformation.

First of all, you don't even know the virus that has infected the OPs computer. That description was very vague. Most all of these infections can be removed by using safe mode with networking to run a scan.

If you use safe mode with networking, you will have network services running. Depending on the severity of the infection, network services can be disabled. It's not the ethernet port that's effected, it's the services.

I never guarenteed that the safe mode scan will work. You are correct, that some infections are too severe to run any scans even in safe mode. At that point, a fresh install is most likely needed. However, most infections can be removed using Malwarebytes in safe mode with networking.
Score
March 1, 2010 8:11:52 PM

aford10 said:
If you can't handle it, you don't have to post here. This site is dedicated to providing information and correcting disinformation.

First of all, you don't even know the virus that has infected the OPs computer. That description was very vague. Most all of these infections can be removed by using safe mode with networking to run a scan.

If you use safe mode with networking, you will have network services running. Depending on the severity of the infection, network services can be disabled. It's not the ethernet port that's effected, it's the services.

I never guarenteed that the safe mode scan will work. You are correct, that some infections are too severe to run any scans even in safe mode. At that point, a fresh install is most likely needed. However, most infections can be removed using Malwarebytes in safe mode with networking.

If I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it.
I like helping people so sorry if I sound bitter
I had Malwarebytes and actually have found Webroot Antivirus with Spysweeper to be better,
It quarrantined the problem last night as soon as it popped up, but I just don't trust anything beyond my own knowledge of the problem.
If you find a way to thwart the virus that actually works and you've successfully helped others
wouldn't you be a bit adamant about it?
Sorry for my attitude but that's just the point of 'wanting to help' in me.
Score

Best solution

a b α HP
a b D Laptop
March 1, 2010 8:28:21 PM

I can appreciate you wanting to help. That's what this forum is all about.

Your particular situation, and the programs that were effective/non effective are very much relevent and welcome here.

However, advice, such as pulling the plug on a running system can cause unnecesary damage. I have cleaned a couple hundred PCs using a very simple method.
1. Use safe mode with networking to download, install, and update Malwarebytes. Then do a full system scan.
2. Download, install, and update Avira. Do a full system scan to double check. Avira is also a real time, live updating AV.
3. Use ccleaner to repair any registry damage.
March 5, 2010 10:45:31 AM

Best answer selected by 4ryan6.
Score
March 5, 2010 10:45:45 AM

This topic has been closed by 4ryan6
Score
!