Sign in with
Your question

Which HD For Each Function?

Last response: in Storage
May 14, 2005 9:14:23 PM

I've been running my computer with a single HD (Seagate Barracuda 120GB ATA100) for a while now. I decided to grab a new Seagate 160GB Serial ATA HD the other day on sale. I like the idea of using two HDs - one for system files (OS and programs) and the other for data files. I had originally planned on using the new 160GB drive for data files (movies, mp3s, documents, etc) but once I got it and realized it is a serial ATA drive my thoughts have changed to - should I use the serial ATA drive for OS and programs and my existing ATA100 drive for data? What do you guys think? Also, is there any issue using a serial ATA drive and a standard IDE ATA100 drive on the same motherboard? See my sig for my system's specs...

---------------------------------------------------------

Asus A7N8X2.0 Deluxe; AMD Athlon XP2500+; nVidia GeForce FX 5200; Seagate Barracuda 120 GB, 7200 RPM, ATA100; Lite-On 24X10X40X CD-RW; Toshiba SD-M1502 16X DVD-ROM; 512 MB Crucial RAM; Windows XP SP2

More about : function

May 15, 2005 5:45:00 AM

Newer drives have slightly better performance than older drives, you probably wouldn't notice. I'd avoid complications and add the drive as an empty drive, mount it in windows, and have it for storage.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
!