XFX 4870 running extremely hot.

ITellup

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
Okay so i ordered this card and got it monday.

I put it in and boot up the PC and i could already tell it was getting hot.

This is my first ATI card BTW.

So idling doing absolutely nothing graphical, the card sits at about 80-84 C that scares me.

And when playing Arma 2 the card will go up to 100 C even 103 C

Sometimes arma2 shutsdown and says it released my display device.

i guess arma 2 was saying, i cant hold you no more your too hot.

so i want to know, what to do?

I was going to ship it back and get a XFX 4850 ( cause its a FANSINK that blows hot air out of the case )

But now the item is deactivated on newegg.

again what do i do?

Solution
Use ATi Tools or ATi Overdrive to adjust the fan speed higher. Also make sure you have the latest driver from ATi.

The card is designed to withstand higher than usual temps but it sounds like the fan simply isn't ramping up full speed when needed.

TheViper

Distinguished
Use ATi Tools or ATi Overdrive to adjust the fan speed higher. Also make sure you have the latest driver from ATi.

The card is designed to withstand higher than usual temps but it sounds like the fan simply isn't ramping up full speed when needed.

Solution

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
I had a problem w\ some 3870's I had where the fan speed just didn't change by itself. I forget what program I ended up using, but if ATI tool will let you set the fan speed, give it a try. My 4870 is usually 70-80c.

ITellup

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
When i first put the card in i tried to install the newest drivers for XP 9.11 i think halfway through the install my system would just stop, and reboot, so i just used the drivers on the disk.

I guess i should find XFX 9.11 drivers.

Also ill try setting the fan speed 75% for all the time.