[Performance Note] Desktop Performance

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
i'm not saying everyone doesn't know about this, but it sure is a sneaky trick Microsoft pulls on everyone, everytime Windows7 is installed.

This applies to both laptops and desktops, but hurts us desktop gamers most.

Right Click your desktop, click "Personalize"
click "Screen Saver"
at the bottom left of this window click "Change Power Settings"
tick the bullet for "High Performance"

the recommended and default setting is "Balanced"
this means it will underclock the CPU to save power, but with desktop computers that is not necessary.

This is an extra process that monitors CPU usage and adjusts the CPU multiplier accordingly. I have seen this happen on both locked and unlocked CPU's. I do not know how it is done on locked CPU's but i know it is such an annoying feature on Desktops and i wish they would figure it out, that desktops don't run on batteries.

I am curious as to how many over clockers have this feature still set on "Balanced" after a fresh install of windows you should immediately hop over to this setting and fix it...

i'm not saying that if you didn't that you some form of noob, or that you should be ashamed, i'm mearly stating that this is a dirty trick Microsoft plays on us who Overclock to attain higher performance... its as if they are mocking us Overclockers.

you can customize the settings other than the CPU of coarse to say turn off the monitor after XX minutes etc.

Final point:
this is a desktop, no puny batteries required, just raw unadulterated power.

Z1NONLY

Distinguished
Max voltage and heat = max wear and tear too. (Not just power consumption)

"raw unadulterated power" for surfing the web? Really?

This isn't a dirty trick because the CPU goes to full speed when needed.

I see no need to sit at a stop light with the gas pedal floored, and listen to the motor bounce of the rev limiter until I need to go.

I can sit idle at the red light an use the gas pedal when I want to go.

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
then you can BSOD when a program expects XXghz and gets Xmhz. I see no wear and tear from my CPU, then again, i use a HS to dissipate its heat, as opposed to the aluminium block stock with it.

also...
running your CPU at say a steady 3.5ghz is like having a V6, there is still CPU usage levels under that, but to have it fluctuate would be like turning off 3 or 4 of those cylinders, now you are at 1.5ghz and immediately redline for a simple Firefox load, now you're cylinder rings are damaged because you only had 2 cylinders for that 45 degree slope.

running all 6 wouldn't have been any issue now would it? from start to finish? you would only need a little bit of gas compared to that twin hauling that data up that slope.

granted internet browsing isn't a heavy demand, but having it set to maximum performance does not mean you will be running at 100% all the time. It means it won't try to run at this speed, then decide that its too little and go full.... you'll notice a lot less demand on your CPU when in maximum power setting, and a lot less unstable clock changes as well.

just understand your reference is incorrect. standing on the gas pedal would be 100% CPU usage as opposed to 100% CPU availability and not unecessary wear and tear as it wouldn't be at 100% usage all the time, i think constant clock changes are far more dangerous cuz sometimes the system hangs because of the clock changes, why change how many cylinders you run on, just make it more efficient and run all cylinders.

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
the power settings window does not increase or decrease voltage. the heat that would be has already been there, whenever your CPU hit 100% on its rated clock is when it began to put off that heat that it will put off IF it gets that hot. Your system will run faster and smoother with the full potential at its disposal which means lower loading times and less call on power and lower overall heat output.

it really is a simple concept...
conservationalists deny this theory because they think wrapping chains around the base of the tree will save it and allow it to grow, but... no one ever cared to think, that wrapped chain will kill the tree when it grows bigger around than the chain now did they?

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
my CPU usage goes to idle percentages when it is unused, yet i still have my 4.2Ghz available for when i need it

how is this any different? instead of altering the clocks it goes idle all the same, i can understand this for Laptops but come on seriously on desktops?

Z1NONLY

Distinguished

100% usage is when the car is in gear and under load. 100% clock speed is max RPM regardless of actual load.

None of my AMD or intel overclocks have "hung" or crashed after I nailed down the dynamic overclock.

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
The cpu moves to full power so fast that you would never know it. If you don't want it to go into low power mode, just shut it off in the BIOS. Microsoft isn't trying to pull the wool over you eyes, they are just trying to make your PC more efficient when its not working.

if that were the case then why does it take forever for games to load under "Balanced" and almost without fail "Black Ops" would CTD on me because of the changing clocks, and then there's the fact that, in MID GAME of Battlefield 3 it would underclock the CPU on me and my frame rate would hit the floor!!!!

Microsoft is ***, not arguing that, but to argue their clock management? are we seriously defending Microsoft here?

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

100% clock speed vs 100% cpu usage
i'd rather have 100% clock speed during an entire game match of Battlefield 3 regardless of if its usage went down mid match. Max RPM is increased with after market products, therefore increasing potential.

but also, having your RPM's already there to get up your hill will work out for you faster than if you had to build them up.

my system only hung and crashed during Battlefield 3 with this "Balanced" crap turned on...

i guess i should have noted this is for "Gamers" and not web browsers

Sorry if i have offended anyone by posting this.
admin can delete this if feels necessary.

CDdude55

Distinguished

Sounds more like a personal problem to me. I also prefer having my CPU downclock when it's not receving much load and have not experianced any hangs during BF3 or any of games i play.

You are right about this. When I built my computer a few weeks ago it was set to balanced and had something like 50% max processor usage. I switched it over to high to get 100% max. Minimum was set to 5% on both. I don't think everyone else understands what you are talking about.

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
... i slept some since i posted this, so um... yeah...

my machine i am aiming to have set as a monster machine 4.2ghz 24/7 16GB RAM yada yada its all in my signature....

what annoys me the very most is it seems that these issues i have are just ME experiencing them, this thread proves that. When i leave my machine on Balanced it BSOD's or CTD's on me constantly, i'm hoping it isn't due to my Phenom II trying to run my 1600 RAM, but that shouldn't be the case as my RAM was set to 1333 at the time (max native for Phenom II) and now it is at 1600 and i've only restarted for firewall installs and updates.

Both server build and Gaming build are on 24/7. Both perform far greater on High Performance rather than Balanced, another thing that could have been causing me the BSOD was windows trying to turn of the damn HDD mid game... THAT i do think would do it.

Windows has always given me issues, since Windows 95 my first ever issue was "Duke Nukem 3D" magically became an "AutoExec" and would boot immediately after windows and when "Duke Nukem 3D" was quit Windows also shut down... the computer officially became a game box dedicated to "Duke Nukem 3D"... with Windows 98 by far the most Stable windows i have ever used, still seemed quite impossible when it came to installing devices... Windows ME was alright until it decided there wasn't a CPU installed (don't know how that worked being as the computer wouldn't work without it. right?) ... Windows XP loved to screw with me daily, deleting files, pretending days and weeks never took place, removing complete applications without any trace, very frustrating.... Windows Vista was just starting to become tolerable when Microsoft decided to drop it entirely and now.... Windows 7 has been so great until recently damn bugware patches to force people to upgrade to Windows 8, thats what i think it is, i swear it is.... i'm being trolled by Microsoft.

Screw you Microsoft, i served in the military for you, quit screwin me like a chihuahua and gimme back my Windows satisfaction.

It is intel's speedstep, amd's cool n quiet and c1e that allow the cpu to go into low power states. Without these, the cpus would not downclock or lower voltage making these power options do nothing (or actually never exist). These are cpu features not microsoft even though you can "disable" them in windows. It has no impact on performance but what you experienced has happened to others. Computers are, after all, made by humans so are not perfect; although you seem to have extra bad luck with them. It can affect ocing as you have to have the right voltage at an idle state as well as a full load state since voltage will change. But this just requires tuning for both states rather than holding back an oc. Vdroop can be an issue from state changes but is not really an issue for non record breaking ocing. All power options can be changed regardless of plan. Default max on balanced should be 100% as was the case for me. I suggest balanced but high performance won't hurt anything.

Please do not use the term hodgie, it can be seen as a racial slur and we do not tolerate this.

Never had a problem with balanced setting. Just means my 6 cores on my AMD run at 800mhz when I'm not doing much and crank up to 3ghz when I need it instead of 3ghz 100% of the time. Is Cool and quiet turned on in your bios? Could be a conflict of something like that or not the right drivers or something. Some older motherboards needed C&Q drivers installed to work properly.

Nafryti

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

There i changed to the most annoying animal in the world... future reference "Tolerate" is a strict word and gives me the feeling you are angry with me over something fairly light, i respect your preference, i just don't think unnecessary anger is needed here.

i think this power management process should be an option to uninstall or turn off entirely, it's there whether or not you have Cool'N'Quiet on or off, i understand the CnQ option is there to maintain a smooth economical performance, however that i've seen done by the chip itself, i've had windows on full fledged power on state and it would still fluctuate some, but mind you not nearly as much as what windows would do, the voltage would go up and down a few .03 volts at a time not much though. Memory clocks would alter too affecting the overall CPU clock....turned that off it all stopped.

this windows management thing would hijack my CPU and molest its multiplier, Windows was seriously violating my CPU. I wouldn't be surprised if it actually damaged it...

LMAO. Nothing else to say about that. Every CPU in the past many years has had the ability to throttle down for a reason and it's not for Windows to DAMAGE YOUR CPU.

/done feeding the troll.