Vostros 1510 8400M GS died

Status
Not open for further replies.

r00m

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Hello everyone!
First of all sorry for my english. Im not a native speaker.
Yesterday my 8400M GS died, but fortunately I can run my laptop without x server started (which gives me the opurtunity to copy all my files & stuff). The screen looks crapy, but hey at least it runs. So I was wondering if there's any chance of replacing that chip? Im not afraid of soldering, just wondering if student without any special equipment is capable of doing that. Or shall I better look for a replacement card? :lol:

Generally, graphics cards in laptops aren't upgradeable. Your best bet is to talk with Dell and see what they say or can recommend for you. Since Dell doesn't use a modular style graphics chip, you are probably going to have to get the entire motherboard replaced.

r00m

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
In fact Dell does use discrete graphics solutions. For example (G/P)M965. I just had bad luck that I bought GL965 :(
New board costs around £150. I think Im going to ditch this lappy for a new one. Replacement is too expensive :)

Yes, Dell does use discrete cards. That wasn't really what I meant though. I misspoke. When I said "modular" I meant using a Mobile Xpress Module (i.e. MXM) type card. Dell does not use an MXM solution and thus their cards can only be replaced by a similar Dell product. Sorry for any confusion.

See Dell on this page: http://www.mxm-upgrade.com/notMXM.html

r00m

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Thanks for the link and clarification! Didn't even knew about MXM! Now I know that my next lappy definitely will be acer! :)

pcfixed

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
yeah 2% of laptops have interchangable graphic cards, the rest is built-in
so you're screwed realy if yours is built-in

Status
Not open for further replies.