NTLDR is missing... yet again

July 23, 2005 11:50:51 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

As is the way with Windows XP, I am yet again confronted with yet
another screen of death during bootup and right before I was able to
take an image of the hard drive. For no apparent reason I see the
following:

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

I am hoping someone can provide some "official" response with regard
to correcting this deadly error that pops up for absolutely no
apparent reason periodically.

I have attempted to combat this deadly error in the past by using the
Windows XP Console, which is about as useful as ice in Alaska during
the dead of winter. I find DOS to have been miles more useful for
reviving my system and quickly accessing my files. I have checked out
various suggestions on the Internet and none have worked in the past
short of doing a fresh install, saving all the data on the C
partition, reformatting the partition to install yet another copy of
Windows and spend 4-6 hours installing each piece of software
separately.

My biggest knock against Windows is that in the 10 years since I
switched from the Mac I still haven't seen one useful utility or
organizational change that will allow you to easily recover/repair
your system cleanly and easily and troubleshoot, e.g. removing your
extensions from your folder cleanly, replacing certain files, bootup
disk will access all your files easily, etc. This is frustrating.
Thank you for listening... I know you have all been there... and I'm
hoping to fix this recurring problem once and for all...

Mike

More about : ntldr missing

July 23, 2005 11:50:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Is there more than one drive in your PC? Do you have more than one portion
on the drive that the Windows resides on? Have you used a partitioning
software and moved/resized some partitions on this drive? Any one of these
may cause this problem and very often simply editing Boot.ini file can
correct the problem, providing you have a way to do that with out loading
Windows.

--
Pavel

"JSOUL dot com" <tkd__in__the__city@REMOVE_yahoo_SPAM_.com> wrote in message
> As is the way with Windows XP, I am yet again confronted with yet
> another screen of death during bootup and right before I was able to
> take an image of the hard drive. For no apparent reason I see the
> following:
>
> NTLDR is missing
> Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
>
> I am hoping someone can provide some "official" response with regard
> to correcting this deadly error that pops up for absolutely no
> apparent reason periodically.
>
> I have attempted to combat this deadly error in the past by using the
> Windows XP Console, which is about as useful as ice in Alaska during
> the dead of winter. I find DOS to have been miles more useful for
> reviving my system and quickly accessing my files. I have checked out
> various suggestions on the Internet and none have worked in the past
> short of doing a fresh install, saving all the data on the C
> partition, reformatting the partition to install yet another copy of
> Windows and spend 4-6 hours installing each piece of software
> separately.
>
> My biggest knock against Windows is that in the 10 years since I
> switched from the Mac I still haven't seen one useful utility or
> organizational change that will allow you to easily recover/repair
> your system cleanly and easily and troubleshoot, e.g. removing your
> extensions from your folder cleanly, replacing certain files, bootup
> disk will access all your files easily, etc. This is frustrating.
> Thank you for listening... I know you have all been there... and I'm
> hoping to fix this recurring problem once and for all...
>
> Mike
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 2:19:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Hi,

You receive an "NTLDR is missing" error message when you start your computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320397

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"JSOUL dot com" <tkd__in__the__city@REMOVE_yahoo_SPAM_.com> wrote in message
> As is the way with Windows XP, I am yet again confronted with yet
> another screen of death during bootup and right before I was able to
> take an image of the hard drive. For no apparent reason I see the
> following:
>
> NTLDR is missing
> Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
>
> I am hoping someone can provide some "official" response with regard
> to correcting this deadly error that pops up for absolutely no
> apparent reason periodically.
>
> I have attempted to combat this deadly error in the past by using the
> Windows XP Console, which is about as useful as ice in Alaska during
> the dead of winter. I find DOS to have been miles more useful for
> reviving my system and quickly accessing my files. I have checked out
> various suggestions on the Internet and none have worked in the past
> short of doing a fresh install, saving all the data on the C
> partition, reformatting the partition to install yet another copy of
> Windows and spend 4-6 hours installing each piece of software
> separately.
>
> My biggest knock against Windows is that in the 10 years since I
> switched from the Mac I still haven't seen one useful utility or
> organizational change that will allow you to easily recover/repair
> your system cleanly and easily and troubleshoot, e.g. removing your
> extensions from your folder cleanly, replacing certain files, bootup
> disk will access all your files easily, etc. This is frustrating.
> Thank you for listening... I know you have all been there... and I'm
> hoping to fix this recurring problem once and for all...
>
> Mike
July 24, 2005 2:19:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:19:24 -0300, "Anando [MS-MVP]"
<anando@mvps.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>You receive an "NTLDR is missing" error message when you start your computer
>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320397

Thanks anando but the root files issue is not causing the error.
Unfortunately creating a boot disk is not an option because my laptop
doesn't have a floppy, only a CDR/DVD writer... the irony of phasing
out floppy disks...
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 2:42:31 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

If you have a operating system cd copy the ntlrd file from the cd to the
root drive or do a repair installation using the cd.

> On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 22:19:24 -0300, "Anando [MS-MVP]"
> <anando@mvps.org> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>You receive an "NTLDR is missing" error message when you start your
>>computer
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320397
>
> Thanks anando but the root files issue is not causing the error.
> Unfortunately creating a boot disk is not an option because my laptop
> doesn't have a floppy, only a CDR/DVD writer... the irony of phasing
> out floppy disks...
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 4:44:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I don't know what causes this. I have seen it a few times on various
systems. My way of solving it is to boot up with the Ghost 9 CD and recover
the individual file ntldr to the C: drive. The whole process takes about 5
minutes.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"JSOUL dot com" <tkd__in__the__city@REMOVE_yahoo_SPAM_.com> wrote in message
> As is the way with Windows XP, I am yet again confronted with yet
> another screen of death during bootup and right before I was able to
> take an image of the hard drive. For no apparent reason I see the
> following:
>
> NTLDR is missing
> Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart
>
> I am hoping someone can provide some "official" response with regard
> to correcting this deadly error that pops up for absolutely no
> apparent reason periodically.
>
> I have attempted to combat this deadly error in the past by using the
> Windows XP Console, which is about as useful as ice in Alaska during
> the dead of winter. I find DOS to have been miles more useful for
> reviving my system and quickly accessing my files. I have checked out
> various suggestions on the Internet and none have worked in the past
> short of doing a fresh install, saving all the data on the C
> partition, reformatting the partition to install yet another copy of
> Windows and spend 4-6 hours installing each piece of software
> separately.
>
> My biggest knock against Windows is that in the 10 years since I
> switched from the Mac I still haven't seen one useful utility or
> organizational change that will allow you to easily recover/repair
> your system cleanly and easily and troubleshoot, e.g. removing your
> extensions from your folder cleanly, replacing certain files, bootup
> disk will access all your files easily, etc. This is frustrating.
> Thank you for listening... I know you have all been there... and I'm
> hoping to fix this recurring problem once and for all...
>
> Mike
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 7:03:09 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 00:44:54 -0400, "Richard Urban [MVP]"
<richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I don't know what causes this. I have seen it a few times on various
>systems. My way of solving it is to boot up with the Ghost 9 CD and recover
>the individual file ntldr to the C: drive. The whole process takes about 5
>minutes.

While I'll try this, it didn't work the last 2 times I've had this
happen. I was hoping to get all my software installed and then image
the HD. Everything worked perfectly this week. I was going to do the
imaging later today but booting up just didn't happen this time for no
apparent reason. I'm also at a loss to know what causes this but it's
frequently not because the ntldr file is missing or corrupt. Go
figure. I'll try and report back... thank you for your response.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 1:13:07 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 17:32:47 -0700, "Pavel" <Atin90@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Is there more than one drive in your PC? Do you have more than one portion
>on the drive that the Windows resides on? Have you used a partitioning
>software and moved/resized some partitions on this drive? Any one of these
>may cause this problem and very often simply editing Boot.ini file can
>correct the problem, providing you have a way to do that with out loading
>Windows.

Thanks - Yes, I have more than one drive and both are partitioned. In
the 2 weeks that we were up and running I haven't changed anything
that should have caused this to happen. I'll see what I can do to
startup in command line and edit the Boot.ini file. Would you have a
reference page to ensure that the boot.ini file appears correctly? I
thought it did already but should check with a reference.

Thanks greatly for your assistance.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 3:18:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

NTLDR Missing

!