Holy heck, I suck. Webcam/live broadcast help....

favelle

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
I'd like to set up a live webcam with a spare laptop I have, but the only way I know how to do it is with Windows Media Encoder. I'd like to embed the video into a webpage so people (mainly me) can click on the link and it takes me right to the live, real-time streaming video. Why is this so impossible? You'd think people would use webcams for more than MSN and YouTube, no?

I'd like to set it up a security system so I can check on the house when I'm at work, on vacation, etc etc. What software do I need? I tried Adobe Flash Media Encoder, but I have no idea how to set up a server or anything.

I have a broadband (super fast) connection, 3-4 webcams, but I really only need to use 1. My laptop is a dual-core @ 2Ghz, with 2GB RAM and 250GB HD. So powerful enough...easily.

Any web gurus out there willing to help. I'm at wits end. Seriously. LOL!

lovetruth

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
there is full of free software on the internet. one thing is that you need to have a PC (or a machine or something with which you access the internet and send the information - usualy a PC is the simplest decision), then you need proper software and a webcam or something like that. Google can help you a lot if you search for webcam security download :) by the way, i used with succes dorgem and u-broadcast - those 2 free programs are quite nice :) depends what you actualy want: dorgem does pictures (and can do live broadcast too) from your webcam to a specific folder (which can be a web folder or a gmail drive - so is checkable on the internet) - while u-broadcast just broadcasts live to a specific URL (you can broadcast either to another big broadband server or you can just view it at a remote address/port using, for example - VLC media player.
or you can - the decision that i would take - you can simply use VLC ( from www.videolan.org ) media player's open capture device and it's streaming feature(s) for great (with more than enough satisfying quality, i say) broadcasting/viewing activities. perhaps also the webcam doesn't have such great quality image, so you can be satisfied with almost any of those sugestions.
also - a lot of webcams (especialy the expensive ones) have integrated web server software - from which you can even turn your webcam left, right, up, down - surely, this requires special hardware (webcam) and software.
you can be more specific, and, if no one else answers you to this question any more, my email is s3nin@yahoo.com (i`m more on yahoo messenger). maybe (not sure if) i`ll have time to help there also.

shalom, and thanks for asking help on this website!...

andrei