STOP: 0x00000027 RDR_FILE_SYSTEM

July 24, 2005 4:31:16 PM

Hi all,

While using my computer I heard the device disconnect sound for seemingly no
reason. I ignored it because I thought it was just the scanner doing
something stupid, however later when I tried to access the DVD drive, I
realised it was no longer there in my computer (no, it didn't physically
vanish!)

So I go to restart to see if that will fix it and on shutdown I get this
message:

RDR_FILE_SYSTEM
STOP: 0x00000027

With the file 'SYMEVENT.SYS' listed at the bottom.

I've been here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/261939/EN-US

BUT this is for 2000, not XP SP2.

This error / message also appears when I update
Nortons (I'm using NIS 2005 / Norton Systemworks 2004 Pro.

Anyone here have the same prob?? And know a fix?

Any info appreciated

Thanx
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 4:31:17 PM

Hi

Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - left hand column
(27)

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Paul" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
news:D bunge$4j4$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Hi all,
>
> While using my computer I heard the device disconnect sound for seemingly
> no reason. I ignored it because I thought it was just the scanner doing
> something stupid, however later when I tried to access the DVD drive, I
> realised it was no longer there in my computer (no, it didn't physically
> vanish!)
>
> So I go to restart to see if that will fix it and on shutdown I get this
> message:
>
> RDR_FILE_SYSTEM
> STOP: 0x00000027
>
> With the file 'SYMEVENT.SYS' listed at the bottom.
>
> I've been here
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/261939/EN-US
>
> BUT this is for 2000, not XP SP2.
>
> This error / message also appears when I update
> Nortons (I'm using NIS 2005 / Norton Systemworks 2004 Pro.
>
> Anyone here have the same prob?? And know a fix?
>
> Any info appreciated
>
> Thanx

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 6:08:17 PM

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php
If the message continues to appear, select the Last Known Good option.
SYMEVENT.SYS is due to Norton products.I shall suggest you to either
delete the Symevnt files from the following locations:-

C:\Program Files\Symantec
C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers(Symevent.sys)

Now download and install the latest Symevnt installer from the following
link:-
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/files/symevnt/symevnt....

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Paul wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While using my computer I heard the device disconnect sound for seemingly no
> reason. I ignored it because I thought it was just the scanner doing
> something stupid, however later when I tried to access the DVD drive, I
> realised it was no longer there in my computer (no, it didn't physically
> vanish!)
>
> So I go to restart to see if that will fix it and on shutdown I get this
> message:
>
> RDR_FILE_SYSTEM
> STOP: 0x00000027
>
> With the file 'SYMEVENT.SYS' listed at the bottom.
>
> I've been here
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/261939/EN-US
>
> BUT this is for 2000, not XP SP2.
>
> This error / message also appears when I update
> Nortons (I'm using NIS 2005 / Norton Systemworks 2004 Pro.
>
> Anyone here have the same prob?? And know a fix?
>
> Any info appreciated
>
> Thanx

Related resources
July 24, 2005 8:08:49 PM

Ta Will. Checking it out now

Thanx

> Hi
>
> Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - left hand
> column
> (27)
>
> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Paul" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
> news:D bunge$4j4$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> While using my computer I heard the device disconnect sound for seemingly
>> no reason. I ignored it because I thought it was just the scanner doing
>> something stupid, however later when I tried to access the DVD drive, I
>> realised it was no longer there in my computer (no, it didn't physically
>> vanish!)
>>
>> So I go to restart to see if that will fix it and on shutdown I get this
>> message:
>>
>> RDR_FILE_SYSTEM
>> STOP: 0x00000027
>>
>> With the file 'SYMEVENT.SYS' listed at the bottom.
>>
>> I've been here
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/261939/EN-US
>>
>> BUT this is for 2000, not XP SP2.
>>
>> This error / message also appears when I update
>> Nortons (I'm using NIS 2005 / Norton Systemworks 2004 Pro.
>>
>> Anyone here have the same prob?? And know a fix?
>>
>> Any info appreciated
>>
>> Thanx

July 26, 2005 10:18:07 PM

Ta SSG. Getting it now