Sign in with
Your question

Region Free DVD Drive

Last response: in Storage
May 18, 2005 6:10:57 PM

I have an LG 16x DVD ROM Drive DRD8160B Drive which I wish to make region free. Its a very common drive shipped in many PCs as an OEM drive without the LG logo on the front. My one is the retail version and I have had it since December 2001 so its fairly old.

How do I make this drive region free. I understand that I need to obtain some particular firmware for the drive and I will also need a particular program in order to complete the process. However I have no idea where to obtain the firmware and I do not have an idea how to apply the firmware to the drive or use the special software - if someone could please help me here let me know.

BTW in case it matters, my DVD program is Power DVD 6 Deluxe with all the add on packs i.e. DVD Audio, DTS sound, DivX, Dolby Digital EX sound, and this is sometimes used in Windows Media Player 10.

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows XP

More about : region free dvd drive

May 18, 2005 7:03:31 PM

I have a program called DVD region free or something like that (I'm not in my PC) and that's the only thing you need. The program launches every time you open a DVD playing application and prevents the drive to lock in a certain region.
May 18, 2005 9:12:06 PM

Excellent. Do you know where I can obtain this program from and which version I need.? Will this cause any conflicts with any programs on the computer such as Nero Burning ROM and its InCD application?

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows XP
Related resources
May 18, 2005 9:17:38 PM

I don't use InCD so that I won't know. Nero doesn't have any problems and I'll let you know the version I have and who makes the program
May 19, 2005 6:45:34 AM

Google "The Firmware Page" in quotation marks and find the site with all the goods.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 21, 2005 5:32:17 AM

another program you can check out is AnyDVD by Slysoft. It will also remove region coding when you put a DVD in.
May 21, 2005 11:26:28 PM

Is that better than DVD region Free? What risks are involved with using these programs? Are there any risks that my optical drive hardware may stop functioning outside of Windows? I only have one DVD drive in the whole house so I cannot afford to destroy them so easily through silly mistakes.

May 22, 2005 4:27:08 AM

I don't know if it's any better, but I can tell you from my experience that AnyDVD works great. I've never heard of it causing problems with hardware. You could try it or DVD Region Free, it's up to you, I just thought I would give you another option to use.
May 23, 2005 8:44:43 PM

Thank you for your input. I have used DVD Region Free but for some reason my US DVDs fail to be recognised in the Power DVD program or by the computer at all. The disc spins and initializes and then slows to a stop, the drive retries this three times before giving up.

Any ideas? Thank you for your help so far

May 23, 2005 9:40:37 PM

I had those problems with Power DVD try a different application for DVD playing to see if that solves your problem.

Nothing is as easy as it looks
May 24, 2005 1:16:01 AM

I had the same problem with PowerDVD so I tried the Intervideo WinDVD player and that one worked.
May 25, 2005 7:57:23 PM

Does Intervideo WinDVD offer the same features as power DVD 5? I use powerDVD to listen to my music in Pro Logic IIx on my 6.1 system, with features such as an equalizer, karaoke and time shift, and I can enjoy genuine Dolby Digital EX sound as well as DTS ES, regardless of the original format. I though WinDVD only offered 5.1 sound and wasn't as feature packed? Still I'd hate to let that rear center speaker go to waste during other movies and only pipe up during DD EX encoded movies like Lord of the Rings or Star Wars Episode II

May 26, 2005 1:48:00 AM

I'm not sure about the features you need it for, but they have a lot of programs on their site that you can download the trial and then all you need is a serial number to activate it. You can google the serial number or just PM me and I can give you one.
May 30, 2005 11:04:42 AM

What is the website to download intervideo WinDVD and the extra features?

May 30, 2005 5:32:53 PM

Aren't most DVD ROM/Writers Region Free? Am I missing something? I've had no problems with my el cheapo brand playing dvd's from Europe and Asia.

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>
May 30, 2005 6:43:44 PM

They let you play different zone DVDs several times after those expire they become fixed on the last zone you played.

Nothing is as easy as it looks
May 30, 2005 9:34:38 PM

That's Fuct! I understand why the industry would do this, but it's lame as hell. If I owned a movie studio, I guess I would hire lobbyist sellout bastards to protect my companies bottom line in Washington too. Im drunk so if I don't make sense tis why.

<b><font color=blue>Athlon64 3200+ Winchester/MSI Neo4 Platinum SLI/MSI 6800 Ultra/1 GB Kingston HyperX (Dual Channel)/74GB WD Raptor/600Watt Enermax Noisetaker/ Dual Mitsubishi 21 Inch Monitors</b></font color=blue>
May 31, 2005 12:19:03 PM

If you check these guys out you may find hacked firmware to make your drive region free.
<A HREF="http://club.cdfreaks.com/" target="_new">http://club.cdfreaks.com/&lt;/A>
Just make sure of what you are doing because some of these firmware "updates" are a one-way ticket.

....WW (5.1)
June 2, 2005 2:08:34 PM

Looks good - I will give it a try - although I don't see any Dolby Pro Logic IIx or DTS ES support or any picth ajdustment featrue apart from the 4% PAL pitch corrector which corrects PAL DVDs to run at the correct speed. Will the Dolby Pro Logic IIx and DTS ES be supported in newer versions? Also does this player support MP3s being played in Dolby Pro Logic II or IIx?

!