Need help to fix screen flash

wjh

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2004
Please help me troubleshoot and fix this strange video problem. Every few minutes the monitor will flash-- the screen becomes completely dark for around one second and then returns to normal. this happens once or twice then everything is normal until the same thing happens a few minutes later. There is no apparent damage done, everything seems to work normally before and after the flashing.

My System: Win XP Pro sp2 + all hotfixes, FX-55, Vantec Stealth 520 Wt PS, MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum MoBo (MS-7025) Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG, 2 X 512 MB OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev. 2 RAM, Gainward GeForce 6800 GT Golden Sample normal settings, SB Audigy2 ZS, 160 GB SATA and 120 GB PATA HDDs, Dual Monitors 21" Triniton Tube CRT and 20" LCD.

Prime 95 - Stable Overnight, 3D Mark 05 - 4918 (avg of 5 runs) BTW -- Would I see much performance increase by going to 4 X 512 MB of RAM? If I did this, should I get more of the same RAM? ( the Rev. 2).

Thank You!

Best,
Walter.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
My monitor did that from heat, the solution was to lower the refresh rate.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>