Closed

removing unwanted desktop icons manually/getting task mana..

Recently my father-in-law installed a program on to my computer. It set up a
desktop icon, that did not get removed when it was uninstalled. I can't even
right click on it and hit delete because it's not there, nor can I just hit
delete. How can it be removed manually. It is a "share-to-web upload folder"
from a hp digital camera. I aslo don't have access to the cd to reinstall it
and uninstall again. Any help ??? Also I can't get task manager to work, I
hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete and nothing. I right click on the task bar and click on
task manager and nothing. Iwas working a few days ago, don't know what
happened, anyway to get it back ??? I already tried system restore but only
goes back a few days. Any ideas for either , thanks in advance.
4 answers Last reply
More about removing unwanted desktop icons manually getting task mana

    Hi Shawn,

    Start here:

    Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

    Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.

    Enable the Task Manager (Line 51)

    Lift Restrictions - Task Manager, Regedit and CMD (Line 275)

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "shawn_18" <shawn_18@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Recently my father-in-law installed a program on to my computer. It set up
    > desktop icon, that did not get removed when it was uninstalled. I can't
    > even
    > right click on it and hit delete because it's not there, nor can I just
    > hit
    > delete. How can it be removed manually. It is a "share-to-web upload
    > folder"
    > from a hp digital camera. I aslo don't have access to the cd to reinstall
    > it
    > and uninstall again. Any help ??? Also I can't get task manager to work, I
    > hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete and nothing. I right click on the task bar and click
    > on
    > task manager and nothing. Iwas working a few days ago, don't know what
    > happened, anyway to get it back ??? I already tried system restore but
    > only
    > goes back a few days. Any ideas for either , thanks in advance.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

    Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:

    Symantec Security Check
    http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=YVXRORVWHFHMFNZMBBX

    Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivirus.mspx

    Install Avast! antivirus program (FREE)

    3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
    http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

    Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
    to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

    How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "shawn_18" wrote:

    | Recently my father-in-law installed a program on to my computer. It set up a
    | desktop icon, that did not get removed when it was uninstalled. I can't even
    | right click on it and hit delete because it's not there, nor can I just hit
    | delete. How can it be removed manually. It is a "share-to-web upload folder"
    | from a hp digital camera. I aslo don't have access to the cd to reinstall it
    | and uninstall again. Any help ??? Also I can't get task manager to work, I
    | hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete and nothing. I right click on the task bar and click on
    | task manager and nothing. Iwas working a few days ago, don't know what
    | happened, anyway to get it back ??? I already tried system restore but only
    | goes back a few days. Any ideas for either , thanks in advance.

    Hi,

    First, the fact that you can't get task manager to open indicates that he
    probably has a virus. Many of them disable this function. Run a couple of
    these in Safe mode:

    Free virus removal tools:

    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
    http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#3001
    http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml

    How to start in Safe mode:
    http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

    As to the unwanted icon, check for an errant entry under this key in the
    registry:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "shawn_18" <shawn_18@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Recently my father-in-law installed a program on to my computer. It set up
    > desktop icon, that did not get removed when it was uninstalled. I can't
    > even
    > right click on it and hit delete because it's not there, nor can I just
    > hit
    > delete. How can it be removed manually. It is a "share-to-web upload
    > folder"
    > from a hp digital camera. I aslo don't have access to the cd to reinstall
    > it
    > and uninstall again. Any help ??? Also I can't get task manager to work, I
    > hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete and nothing. I right click on the task bar and click
    > on
    > task manager and nothing. Iwas working a few days ago, don't know what
    > happened, anyway to get it back ??? I already tried system restore but
    > only
    > goes back a few days. Any ideas for either , thanks in advance.
  4. i have a icon that i to can not delete when i try this message comes up

    could not find this item

    this is no longer located in c:\user\what ever\desktop.verify the item's
    location and try again.

    pic file name
    type:file
    size: o bytes
    date modified: 3\9\2010 5:53 am

    this has been the message i have gotten for the passed 3 years i just gave up i cant hide it delete it it just sits on my computer screen i have not found a tool yet to get rid of it i am running windows 7 ultimate 32 bit

    my name is scott theunseen8669@yahoo.com

Desktop Icons Windows XP