Closed

removing unwanted desktop icons manually/getting task mana..

July 23, 2005 11:25:03 PM

Recently my father-in-law installed a program on to my computer. It set up a
desktop icon, that did not get removed when it was uninstalled. I can't even
right click on it and hit delete because it's not there, nor can I just hit
delete. How can it be removed manually. It is a "share-to-web upload folder"
from a hp digital camera. I aslo don't have access to the cd to reinstall it
and uninstall again. Any help ??? Also I can't get task manager to work, I
hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete and nothing. I right click on the task bar and click on
task manager and nothing. Iwas working a few days ago, don't know what
happened, anyway to get it back ??? I already tried system restore but only
goes back a few days. Any ideas for either , thanks in advance.
July 24, 2005 1:37:42 AM

Hi Shawn,

Start here:

Run Ad-Aware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

Note: Update the first two programs, once installed, before running.

Enable the Task Manager (Line 51)

Lift Restrictions - Task Manager, Regedit and CMD (Line 275)

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"shawn_18" <shawn_18@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently my father-in-law installed a program on to my computer. It set up
> desktop icon, that did not get removed when it was uninstalled. I can't
> even
> right click on it and hit delete because it's not there, nor can I just
> hit
> delete. How can it be removed manually. It is a "share-to-web upload
> folder"
> from a hp digital camera. I aslo don't have access to the cd to reinstall
> it
> and uninstall again. Any help ??? Also I can't get task manager to work, I
> hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete and nothing. I right click on the task bar and click
> on
> task manager and nothing. Iwas working a few days ago, don't know what
> happened, anyway to get it back ??? I already tried system restore but
> only
> goes back a few days. Any ideas for either , thanks in advance.
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 2:02:10 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/?­id=827315

Download Ad-aware SE and scan your PC for the presence of sp­yware:
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69...

Symantec Security Check
http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=i...

Microsoft Windows AntiSpyware

Antivirus software: Frequently asked questions
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/protect/antivi...

Install Avast! antivirus program (FREE)

3 Simple Steps to Help Ensure the Protection of Your PC
http://www.microsoft.com/athom­e/security/protect/default.msp­x

Utilize the following maintenance programs, at least monthly,
to maintain the optimum performance of Windows XP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310312&Product=winxp

How to Perform Disk Error Checking in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315265&Product=winxp

HOW TO: Analyze and Defragment a Disk in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;305781&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"shawn_18" wrote:

| Recently my father-in-law installed a program on to my computer. It set up a
| desktop icon, that did not get removed when it was uninstalled. I can't even
| right click on it and hit delete because it's not there, nor can I just hit
| delete. How can it be removed manually. It is a "share-to-web upload folder"
| from a hp digital camera. I aslo don't have access to the cd to reinstall it
| and uninstall again. Any help ??? Also I can't get task manager to work, I
| hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete and nothing. I right click on the task bar and click on
| task manager and nothing. Iwas working a few days ago, don't know what
| happened, anyway to get it back ??? I already tried system restore but only
| goes back a few days. Any ideas for either , thanks in advance.
July 24, 2005 2:32:49 AM

Hi,

First, the fact that you can't get task manager to open indicates that he
probably has a virus. Many of them disable this function. Run a couple of
these in Safe mode:

Free virus removal tools:

http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
http://www.emsisoft.com/en/
http://free.grisoft.com/doc/8/lng/us/tpl/v5/nid/3001#30...
http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/tools.shtml

How to start in Safe mode:
http://www.rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Safe%20mode

As to the unwanted icon, check for an errant entry under this key in the
registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Desktop\NameSpace

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"shawn_18" <shawn_18@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently my father-in-law installed a program on to my computer. It set up
> desktop icon, that did not get removed when it was uninstalled. I can't
> even
> right click on it and hit delete because it's not there, nor can I just
> hit
> delete. How can it be removed manually. It is a "share-to-web upload
> folder"
> from a hp digital camera. I aslo don't have access to the cd to reinstall
> it
> and uninstall again. Any help ??? Also I can't get task manager to work, I
> hit Ctrl, Alt, Delete and nothing. I right click on the task bar and click
> on
> task manager and nothing. Iwas working a few days ago, don't know what
> happened, anyway to get it back ??? I already tried system restore but
> only
> goes back a few days. Any ideas for either , thanks in advance.
March 14, 2013 2:31:05 PM

i have a icon that i to can not delete when i try this message comes up

could not find this item

this is no longer located in c:\user\what ever\desktop.verify the item's
location and try again.

pic file name
type:file
size: o bytes
date modified: 3\9\2010 5:53 am

this has been the message i have gotten for the passed 3 years i just gave up i cant hide it delete it it just sits on my computer screen i have not found a tool yet to get rid of it i am running windows 7 ultimate 32 bit

my name is scott theunseen8669@yahoo.com
!