need help with dancing cursor

July 23, 2005 11:38:01 PM

Every few minutes I lose control of my cursor and it "dances" or floats
around. It only goes on for a few seconds, but it 's a real pain in the a**.
Can anyone tell me how to stop this? Thanks.

More about : dancing cursor

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 1:44:53 AM

Reinstall your video adapter drivers. If that does solve the
issue, your video adapter may be defective and should be replaced.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Sarah" wrote:

| Every few minutes I lose control of my cursor and it "dances" or floats
| around. It only goes on for a few seconds, but it 's a real pain in the a**.
| Can anyone tell me how to stop this? Thanks.
July 24, 2005 5:06:05 PM

If you use optical mouse, try different (preferably dark mono color) mouse
pad.
"Sarah XX" <Sarah XX@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Every few minutes I lose control of my cursor and it "dances" or floats
> around. It only goes on for a few seconds, but it 's a real pain in the
> a**.
> Can anyone tell me how to stop this? Thanks.
July 24, 2005 8:24:54 PM

Sarah XX wrote:

> Every few minutes I lose control of my cursor and it "dances" or floats
> around. It only goes on for a few seconds, but it 's a real pain in the a**.
> Can anyone tell me how to stop this? Thanks.

Possible causes:

Optical mouse on reflective or multi-colored surface.
Wireless mouse battery low - replace battery.
Speech recognition software active and picking up room sounds - turn off
speech recognition and/or mute your microphone in sound mixer.
Corrupted mouse driver - re-install mouse driver.
Defective mouse - use a different mouse.

Steve
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 8:29:37 PM

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> Reinstall your video adapter drivers. If that does solve the
> issue, your video adapter may be defective and should be replaced.

I suppose it's possible Carey, but I haven't seen a video adaptor or
video driver cause mouse problems since real-mode mouse drivers
(DOS/Win3x/Win95).

Steve
!