Windows XP Pro Taskbar with "Group similar taskbar buttons..

July 24, 2005 2:13:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

With XP Pro SP2, I enable "Group similar taskbar buttons". I generally have my
taskbar stretched 2 to 3 rows even so. Sometimes, when I have a lot of windows
open, and the similar taskbar buttons group and stack themselves, so 1 button
contains 2 or 3 open tasks, I can't get any action out of the buttons that
represent multiple open tasks.

Any of the taskbar buttons that represent a single open task are fine. But any
buttons that represent multiple open tasks don't respond. I have to do Alt -
Tab to bring a task to the front, if it's one of the tasks on a button that
represents a group. Or I can go to Taskbar Properties, and deselect "Group
similar taskbar buttons".

This works as long as I leave the option deselected, and of course, I have a
hella lot of buttons to search thru, and in scrambled order. And as soon as I
re select the option, the buttons regroup, and stop responding again.

The only way to recover from this situation is to restart the system.

Anybody have any ideas about how to prevent this?
July 24, 2005 5:05:47 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Most interesting. Have you found this program specific?

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP