Stuck for memory - any help...?

mataus

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2003
Hi

I have recently purchased an ASUS K8N-e Deluxe and A64 3700+. At the moment I am using memory from my previous system, which i believe is giving me the odd blue screen of death.
Being a flightsim user, i'm looking for some stable/fast memory. I am looking at buying:

Corsair (TWINX1024-3200XLPT) 1024MB (2x512M Matched Pair), DDR400 / PC3200, non-ECC, unbuffered, 2-2-2-5, Lifetime Warranty. Silver Heatspreaders: £135.00

which is at the limit of my budget. Would this be best for me, or should i be looking for something else.

Many thanks in advance for any help

Mataus

over_c

Distinguished
May 27, 2003
That memory seems like it would work.

Are you sure the problem is in the memory? Have you downloaded memtest86 or some other memory program to check the memory for errors? It wouldn't be much fun to shell out a bunch of cash for memory and then discover you had a driver conflict.

mataus

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2003
Hi

I have downloaded it, but have yet to run it. Its always the same two error codes that i get, and from what i have read it points mostly at the memory.
As its a fresh install i have had chance to check other things. Ive done a full reinstall, tried different SATA HDDs, updated bios, different settings; but the same errors still happen. The only thing I havent been able to try is the memory, but as it is generic (all i could afford when i built the previous system), i believe it may be that.
I have an ATI 800XT card and two Seagate 120Gb SATA HDDs. The PSU is also very new and is an ANTEC TRUEPOWER 550.

From what i can see, everything seems to functioning OK, unless i have missed something. But if replacing the memory could give a more stable system them maybe its worth it, or not?

Mataus

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Seems like your PSU is more than enough for your parts.

Looks like you've tried the following:
-Clean OS install
-Different Hard drive
-updated your BIOS

That's good =)

What about your CPU? Is the fan working correctly? You can use MBN5 to log temperature.

First, it would be good to test the memory as bad memory will cause frequent crashes to your system and programs.

Does this problem occur during a specific application or at random?

What memory specification is your system BIOS set to. Also, what is the specification of the module itself?

<font color=green>*****
"Memory with lifetime warranty? So, whose lifetime is that?"
<A HREF="http://www.brentcrowley.com/" target="_new">homepage</A>
<font color=red>AIM BrentUnitedMem

mataus

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2003
Hi

CPU runs fine and temp usually sits at about 40deg. I have good ventilation in the case, but just incase I removed all sides and kept room temp low, just to make sure it wasn't an overheat prob. I have two seperate programs that monitor the temp and fan speed and both show the same.

As for setting up the bios, im not really all that good. The mobo does come with an nvidia setup prog that runs in windows and adjusts the bios for you. Having selected performance, the prog sets up the best config and tests to ensure stability.

The memory is simply generic and using the CPUZ prog, i can see the two modules have slightly different settings. I'm no wiz at this stuff, so dont know just how much of a prob that would cause. Most of what i've done so far is ideas from reading various posts.

The problem has occured a few times when running Fsim and once when i was on the internet. It doesnt always happen, but when I used my previous set up I never had this problem.

The only difference between this system and the previous is the mobo and CPU, the rest of the system is exactly the same, thats why i also thought is may be a memory/mobo conflict.

Thanks for you help
Mataus

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Looks like it's likely a mobo/memory conflict.

Video games put more strain on computers than most other programs.

Different modules when run together cause more complications in general than two of the same.

Try running one of the modules at a time.

It's also a good idea to run MEMTEST86

<font color=green>*****

mataus

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2003
Hi

Thanks for your help. I left the MEMTEST86 running for about 6hrs today while i was asleep, but showed no errors. I don't think it could be anything else causing the problem.

I would still like to break away from the 'generic' that i have and get something more stable/faster. Would it still be worth buying what i had selected or would something of a lower price do just as good a job?

Thanks
Mataus

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Anandtech has a pretty interesting <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2422" target="_new">article</A> comparing different types of memory modules with cetain VGA cards on various gaming platforms. The graphics performance is minimal.

Basically you'll notice in genral that there is little performance gain between standard modules and low latency modules (I could have told you that a long time ago :p )

But the price difference, as noted in the article, is very significant. Whether this difference justifies the price is purely a matter of opinion. In that respect I'd have to say that most of the performance modules are for knucleheads... haha

Back to your issue..
So no errors on Memtest86? Hmn.
Did you try running just one module at a time? Still crashing?
Also, what are your memory BIOS settings? And how do they compare to the module specification dictated by the SPD program? In other words, what is your module rated to run at?
You could try to relax the timings in your BIOS.. see if that does anything.

If problem persists, then we can troubleshoot further.

<font color=green>*****
<font color=red>AIM BrentUnitedMem<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by BrentUnitedMem on 05/20/05 04:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

mataus

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2003
Hi,

As shown in CPUZ

Module 1
FREQ 200, CAS 2.5, RAStoCAS 3, RAS Precharge 3, TRas 8

Module 2
FREQ 200, CAS 3, RAStoCAS 3, RAS Precharge 3, TRas 8

As setup in the BIOS by the Nvidia setup program

Freq 160.8, FSB:DRAM CPU/15, CAS 2.5, RAStoCAS 3, RAS Precharge 3, TRas 7, Bank Cycle 10, Idle Timer 16

All this means totally nothing to me :eek:

For the past two days, not one single crash, not even when I’ve run everything I could.

If i do replace my RAM ive now found this, which is more for less...

Corsair (VS1GB400C3) 1024MB, DDR400 / PC3200, non-ECC, 184 DIMM, unbuffered, CL3, 64Mx8 DRAMs, Lifetime Warranty

Can get 2Gb for £150.

Thanks again
Mataus

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Unless you find-out what the problem is, it's difficult to know whether replacing the memory will solve your problem.

It could be a driver conflict, application-specific problem.. or possibly even the weather.

Maybe there was a butterfly flapping it's wings next to your system. ok.. nevermind.

Not sure what exactly the problem is. But let us know if you gather more details.

Anyone else have any comments?

<font color=green>*****

mataus

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2003
Hi

Today i tried using the Flightsim multiplayer for the first time since i reinstalled it. It froze the program and the only way out was using CTRL-ATL-DEL. When the Task Manager opened i noticed on the performance page that the CPU was at 100% and the page file was at 1.7Gb and rising. I checked the processes page and found that 'dpnsvr.exe' had a high memory usage. I ended the program and with it FS closed and the page file droped to 200-300mb. I've never had this before, even when i did reinstalls on my old setup.
I am going to try a directX reinstall and see if that may fix the odd crashes i'm having. Although the error codes i've had always relate to memory, i suppose even one dodgy file could cause these failures.
Is it possible that if the memory i have isn't compatable, that when installing or moving files/drivers that they could become damaged?

Mataus

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
This problem could relate to the power supply, but it seems you have a pretty good PSU already.

Is it possible for you to borrow a stick of memory from a friend for testing before committing to a purchase?

Also, you can check out <A HREF="http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/You_Must_Read_This_Before_Posting_A_Hijackthis_Log-t2852.html" target="_new">THIS</A> link for maintaing your PC if you think there may be some software problems.

Since you have an ATI card, I think <A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33656771" target="_new">THIS</A> will proove helpful in making sure you setup the driver correctly.

Have you tried running one memory module at a time????

<font color=green>*****

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
By the way...

What CPU are you using?

<font color=green>*****

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Module 1
FREQ 200, CAS 2.5, RAStoCAS 3, RAS Precharge 3, TRas 8

Module 2
FREQ 200, CAS 3, RAStoCAS 3, RAS Precharge 3, TRas 8
Take out MODULE ONE. The one that is running at CL2.5 and run your flight simulator program again. See what happens.

<font color=green>*****

mataus

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2003
I'm running the A64 3700+ (skt754).

I am going to try running with the one module tomorrow and will also be able to try with a friends 1Gb stick aswell.

I've been watching my system monitor for temp/speed/mem/volts/etc and the PSU outputs appear to be steady.

If the memory appears to be the problem, then I will invest in a couple of gig. Although I will prob still have this directplay problem which may or may not be part of it. A full reinstall is on the cards.

Thanks
Mataus

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Sorry for late reply.

Let us know how the memory test goes with the single CL3 module and with the borrowed module.

It's good idea to go through the setps above for the ATI card to ensure the drivers are clean.

<font color=green>*****

mataus

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2003
Hi

Well after a couple of days of messing around, i have found that it was one of the modules. Although it ran perfectly well with the other module on my previous motherboard for 18months, this one just doesn't like it.

I have therefore decided to replace both modules with a matched 2Gb pair.

Thanks for your help and ideas, as they proved worth while!

Hopefully things will run ok for a while now

Thanks again
Mataus

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Memory is weird.

Memory performance varies from motherboard to motherboard, and from chipset to chipset.

The range of potential problems increases when the modules are programmed according to different specifications, like in your case, where you have one module with a CL2 specification in tandem with a module of CL3 specification. Though this configuration might work well on some chipsets, as you have seen, there are other chipsets which may confuse the two specifications.

Glad we could help a little.

Just a further comment, you may want to do some research on your current mobo. Sometimes, with larger memory densities, the chipset may clock the modules to a lower grade due to stability issues. Unless you take advantage of a 2GB setup, it is better to go with 1GB total memory space under WINXP.

Many games do in fact take advantage of more memory: Far Cry and World of Warcraft, for example.

If you do decide to use 2GB of memory for gaming, it might be a good idea to decrease the page-file limit under WINXP.

<font color=green>*****