High Speed USB Port

I just bought an external USB drive to back up my system. During the
installation process it said that there were no High Speed Ports on my
system. It said I can still use the drive, but the back up process would be
slower. It is VERY slow.

Two questions:

Is it possible to easily install a new USB port or replace the one there
already?

My knowledge is limited, but can the one I have be upgraded with a new
driver?

Thanks, Gene
5 answers Last reply
More about high speed port

    Ok. It's not going to be upgradeable very easy. You chould get a PCI card
    that has a few ports. If you got a laptop, you'll be able to get like 2/4
    Desktop pci cards'll get up to 6/8

    "Aloha" wrote:

    > I just bought an external USB drive to back up my system. During the
    > installation process it said that there were no High Speed Ports on my
    > system. It said I can still use the drive, but the back up process would be
    > slower. It is VERY slow.
    >
    > Two questions:
    >
    > Is it possible to easily install a new USB port or replace the one there
    > already?
    >
    > My knowledge is limited, but can the one I have be upgraded with a new
    > driver?
    >
    > Thanks, Gene

    You cannot upgrade existing USB 1.1 ports since they are likely connected to
    the Motherboard. What you can do is buy a USB 2.0 PCI (Peripheral Component
    Interconnect) cars which can be installed in any open PCI slot in your PC.
    They come with from 2-5 slots and can be purchased at Best Buy, Circuit
    City, Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, Wal-Mart, Radio Shack, plus anybody
    else that sells computer parts at retail. About $30-$40 most places. Easily
    installed.
    Gene K
    "Aloha" <bigislandhilo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I just bought an external USB drive to back up my system. During the
    >installation process it said that there were no High Speed Ports on my
    >system. It said I can still use the drive, but the back up process would
    >be slower. It is VERY slow.
    >
    > Two questions:
    >
    > Is it possible to easily install a new USB port or replace the one there
    > already?
    >
    > My knowledge is limited, but can the one I have be upgraded with a new
    > driver?
    >
    > Thanks, Gene

    USB 1.1 ports are controled by a chip. You can not upgrade this chip to USB
    2.0.

    However, check you motherboard manual so as to make sure that these USB 1.1
    ports are truely USB 1.1 ports. You need SP1 (or SP2) in order to activate
    USB 2.0 drivers correctly.

    "Gene" <nobody@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > You cannot upgrade existing USB 1.1 ports since they are likely connected
    > to the Motherboard. What you can do is buy a USB 2.0 PCI (Peripheral
    > Component Interconnect) cars which can be installed in any open PCI slot
    > in your PC. They come with from 2-5 slots and can be purchased at Best
    > Buy, Circuit City, Staples, Office Max, Office Depot, Wal-Mart, Radio
    > Shack, plus anybody else that sells computer parts at retail. About
    > $30-$40 most places. Easily installed.
    > Gene K
    > "Aloha" <bigislandhilo@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I just bought an external USB drive to back up my system. During the
    >>installation process it said that there were no High Speed Ports on my
    >>system. It said I can still use the drive, but the back up process would
    >>be slower. It is VERY slow.
    >>
    >> Two questions:
    >>
    >> Is it possible to easily install a new USB port or replace the one there
    >> already?
    >>
    >> My knowledge is limited, but can the one I have be upgraded with a new
    >> driver?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Gene

    Hey i did the same thing and got the same results. Are there any adapters out
    there
    (PCIx to USB 2.0) that can be used in order to speed up the process at all.
    I have a Dell PowerEdge 2650 and USB is only version 1.0. Researched like
    crazy on Google to try and find PCIx to USB 2.0 adapter and came up empty.

    --
    kevc
    GCStech

    "Aloha" wrote:

    > I just bought an external USB drive to back up my system. During the
    > installation process it said that there were no High Speed Ports on my
    > system. It said I can still use the drive, but the back up process would be
    > slower. It is VERY slow.
    >
    > Two questions:
    >
    > Is it possible to easily install a new USB port or replace the one there
    > already?
    >
    > My knowledge is limited, but can the one I have be upgraded with a new
    > driver?
    >
    > Thanks, Gene

    I have a 5 port PCI USB 2.0 adapter from Belkin...available even at
    WalMart...
    --
    A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
    "kevc" <kevc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hey i did the same thing and got the same results. Are there any adapters
    > out
    > there
    > (PCIx to USB 2.0) that can be used in order to speed up the process at
    > all.
    > I have a Dell PowerEdge 2650 and USB is only version 1.0. Researched like
    > crazy on Google to try and find PCIx to USB 2.0 adapter and came up empty.
    >
    > --
    > kevc
    > GCStech
    >

    > "Aloha" wrote:
    >
    >> I just bought an external USB drive to back up my system. During the
    >> installation process it said that there were no High Speed Ports on my
    >> system. It said I can still use the drive, but the back up process would
    >> be
    >> slower. It is VERY slow.
    >>
    >> Two questions:
    >>
    >> Is it possible to easily install a new USB port or replace the one there
    >> already?
    >>
    >> My knowledge is limited, but can the one I have be upgraded with a new
    >> driver?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Gene

Windows XP