Sign in with
Your question

Mac Vs Dell

Last response: in Computer Brands
March 5, 2010 3:48:05 PM

I am looking at buying a new computer.

I have been looking at the Dell inspiron 580 intel core i5 processor 750 8GB Ram for £749 and the imac 3.06Ghz intel core 2 duo with 4GB for £969.

The dell is cheaper and looks like it should perform better, but all the sites i go on that compare like for like computers say mac are better. But i am more interested in comparing price. For this money it looks like a good dell and a basic imac

Can anyone help

Luke

More about : mac dell

March 5, 2010 4:09:26 PM

What do you plan to use your new computer for? What brand/type of computer are you looking to replace?
Anonymous
March 5, 2010 4:10:14 PM

Comes down to the operating system more than anything. While Macs are nicely constructed and the OS is pretty and pretty reliable, I find I'm just too much of a PC guy to deal with Mac.

Somehow, things like networking tools just don't seem to be there. There's no defrag, you don't have the sort of in-depth detail about hardware I'm used to.

I think I would spend some time trying the machines rather than worrying about specs.
Related resources
March 5, 2010 7:31:54 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- What is the main purpose of the rig?
2- For price/performance is better the DELL's options, for quality is better the MAC
March 8, 2010 11:05:10 AM

saint19 said:
Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

1- What is the main purpose of the rig?
2- For price/performance is better the DELL's options, for quality is better the MAC

Hi

The main purpose of the computer is just for home stuff. It has all the holiday photos on, a few videos. I brouse the net a lot, I also use word and excel a lot
March 8, 2010 11:08:57 AM

lotri said:
What do you plan to use your new computer for? What brand/type of computer are you looking to replace?

Hi

The main purpose of the computer is just for home stuff. It has all the holiday photos on, a few videos. I brouse the net a lot. I also use word and excel a lot.

I cant remember the brand of my current computer (i'm at work), all i know it is very slow. I brought it from PC world a few yours ago. It was one of there cheapest ones. Not a good decision

Luke
March 8, 2010 11:10:21 AM

^In that case, get the DELL's options. You don't need spend money in a MAC for your needs. The DELL option have a better configuration.
March 8, 2010 11:42:35 AM

saint19 said:
^In that case, get the DELL's options. You don't need spend money in a MAC for your needs. The DELL option have a better configuration.

Thanks
March 8, 2010 11:49:43 AM

Any time that's why we are here.
!