creating an XP installation disk

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I've seen instructions for creating an installation
disk with service packs integrated.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

What I want to do is a little more complicated, but perhaps
possible by a similar method

I have an installation disk for WIN NT workstation. Plus I have
an upgrade disk which upgrades NT to WinXP pro. The XP pro
disk only works if there is already a valid licenced version of
windows installed. To install XP I have to
1) install NT
2) activate NT
3) install NT service packs
4) install XP (requires the service packs)

5) install hardware drivers
6) install XP service packs

which takes a bloody long time.

Is there any way to create a single install disk to install XP directly?
Preferably integrating the drivers and service packs.

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The Windows XP Professional upgrade CD (with SP2) will install a clean
version of Windows XP without having any operating system on the hard drive.
When it comes time to verify a previous upgradeable operating system, remove
the XP CD and insert the NT CD. After the NT CD has been validated, the
installer will tell you to reinsert the Windows XP CD to continue with the
installation.

When you have completed, all you will have to do is install post SP2 Window
Updates.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

Peter Morris wrote:

> To install XP I have to
> 1) install NT

No, this isn't at all necessary. It's quite possible to perform a
clean installation using the Upgrade CD, provided you have the true
installation CD for the earlier OS.

Simply boot from the WinXP Upgrade CD. You'll be offered the
installation process. The Upgrade CD checks to see if a qualifying OS
is installed, and, if it finds none, it asks you to insert the
installation media (CD) of that OS. Unfortunately, an OEM
"Recovery/Restore" CD will not work for this purpose; you must have a
true installation CD, complete with the "\Win98" folder and *.cab
files, or the "\i386" folder of WinNT/2K.

> 2) activate NT

This was never a requirement, or even possible, for that matter.

> 3) install NT service packs
> 4) install XP (requires the service packs)

Only if upgrading over an existing WinNT installation.

> 5) install hardware drivers
> 6) install XP service packs

Not if you've created an installation CD with the latest service pack
integrated into it.

> which takes a bloody long time.

@ 45 minutes? (If you've slipstreamed the service pack and omit the
unnecessary steps of installing and patching WinNT.)

> Is there any way to create a single install disk to install XP directly?
> Preferably integrating the drivers and service packs.

For slip-streaming the service pack and subsequent updates to WinXP:

How to integrate software updates into your Windows installation source
files
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828930

SlipStreaming WinXP
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

For the device drivers, something here should help:

How to Add OEM Plug and Play Drivers to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314479

How to slipstream hotfixes that replace pre-existing driver files
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814847

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: