creating an XP installation disk

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I've seen instructions for creating an installation
disk with service packs integrated.

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

What I want to do is a little more complicated, but perhaps
possible by a similar method

I have an installation disk for WIN NT workstation. Plus I have
an upgrade disk which upgrades NT to WinXP pro. The XP pro
disk only works if there is already a valid licenced version of
windows installed. To install XP I have to
1) install NT
2) activate NT
3) install NT service packs
4) install XP (requires the service packs)

5) install hardware drivers
6) install XP service packs

which takes a bloody long time.

Is there any way to create a single install disk to install XP directly?
Preferably integrating the drivers and service packs.
2 answers Last reply
More about creating installation disk
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    The Windows XP Professional upgrade CD (with SP2) will install a clean
    version of Windows XP without having any operating system on the hard drive.
    When it comes time to verify a previous upgradeable operating system, remove
    the XP CD and insert the NT CD. After the NT CD has been validated, the
    installer will tell you to reinsert the Windows XP CD to continue with the
    installation.

    When you have completed, all you will have to do is install post SP2 Window
    Updates.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Peter Morris" <nosp@m.please> wrote in message
    > I've seen instructions for creating an installation
    > disk with service packs integrated.
    >
    > http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp
    >
    > What I want to do is a little more complicated, but perhaps
    > possible by a similar method
    >
    > I have an installation disk for WIN NT workstation. Plus I have
    > an upgrade disk which upgrades NT to WinXP pro. The XP pro
    > disk only works if there is already a valid licenced version of
    > windows installed. To install XP I have to
    > 1) install NT
    > 2) activate NT
    > 3) install NT service packs
    > 4) install XP (requires the service packs)
    >
    > 5) install hardware drivers
    > 6) install XP service packs
    >

    > which takes a bloody long time.
    >

    > Is there any way to create a single install disk to install XP directly?
    > Preferably integrating the drivers and service packs.

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Peter Morris wrote:

    > To install XP I have to
    > 1) install NT

    No, this isn't at all necessary. It's quite possible to perform a
    clean installation using the Upgrade CD, provided you have the true
    installation CD for the earlier OS.

    Simply boot from the WinXP Upgrade CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. The Upgrade CD checks to see if a qualifying OS
    is installed, and, if it finds none, it asks you to insert the
    installation media (CD) of that OS. Unfortunately, an OEM
    "Recovery/Restore" CD will not work for this purpose; you must have a
    true installation CD, complete with the "\Win98" folder and *.cab
    files, or the "\i386" folder of WinNT/2K.

    > 2) activate NT

    This was never a requirement, or even possible, for that matter.

    > 3) install NT service packs
    > 4) install XP (requires the service packs)

    Only if upgrading over an existing WinNT installation.

    > 5) install hardware drivers
    > 6) install XP service packs

    Not if you've created an installation CD with the latest service pack
    integrated into it.

    > which takes a bloody long time.

    @ 45 minutes? (If you've slipstreamed the service pack and omit the
    unnecessary steps of installing and patching WinNT.)

    > Is there any way to create a single install disk to install XP directly?
    > Preferably integrating the drivers and service packs.

    For slip-streaming the service pack and subsequent updates to WinXP:

    How to integrate software updates into your Windows installation source
    files
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;828930

    SlipStreaming WinXP
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/slipstream.htm

    For the device drivers, something here should help:

    How to Add OEM Plug and Play Drivers to Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314479

    How to slipstream hotfixes that replace pre-existing driver files
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814847

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: