My computer is flashing A and will not power up

zredhot

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
If the A light flashes when the power button is pressed but the laptop doesn't power up, what could that mean?

Solution
What laptop are you using? Does it flash green or yellow(g---)or(yggg)

No memory modules are detected.

Reseat the memory modules to ensure that your computer is successfully communicating with the memory.
Restart the computer.
If the problem still exists, remove all the memory modules and install one memory module in memory module connector 4.
Restart the computer.
The following message appears: Alert! Operating in Debug Mode. Please Populate Memory in Pairs for Normal Operation.

Press <F1> to boot to the operating system.
Run the Dell Diagnostics.
If the memory module passes, shutdown the computer, remove the memory module, and repeat the process with the remaining memory modules until a memory error occurs during start-up or...

benjaminl111

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
What laptop are you using? Does it flash green or yellow(g---)or(yggg)

No memory modules are detected.

Reseat the memory modules to ensure that your computer is successfully communicating with the memory.
Restart the computer.
If the problem still exists, remove all the memory modules and install one memory module in memory module connector 4.
Restart the computer.
The following message appears: Alert! Operating in Debug Mode. Please Populate Memory in Pairs for Normal Operation.

Press <F1> to boot to the operating system.
Run the Dell Diagnostics.
If the memory module passes, shutdown the computer, remove the memory module, and repeat the process with the remaining memory modules until a memory error occurs during start-up or diagnostic testing.
If the first memory module tested is defective, repeat the process with the remaining modules to ensure the remaining modules are not defective.

When the defective memory module is identified, contact Dell for a replacement.
NOTE: If necessary, the computer can operate in debug mode until new memory modules are installed.

Solution

zredhot

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009

Yes, that was it! I pulled the memory card from under the keyboard. Once I did that, the laptop powered up. The other memory card was good. Thank you so much for your help!
Dell - A = Memory! I'll never forget that. lol.