Ext drive is not recognized

July 24, 2005 3:41:02 AM

Here is the problem I am facing

a) I have a Sony VAIO with Maxtor FireWire/USB ext drive
b) For some unrelated problem, I was doing application restore and lost
power during the process
c) From that point on, ext drive is not being recognized by the system
d) If I "right click" on My Computer, and select "Manage" and then select
"Disk Management" it shows the drive as "Healthy", the correct partition size
etc. But it does not have drive letter assigned.
e) For other drives, if you right click, it gives you options to "change
drive letter", "format", "make partition active" etc and finally "help"
f) However on this ext drive, right click, only gives you the option of
"help". It does not give you any option to format, assign drive letter etc.

Somehow, XP (in this case Media Center 2005, although I believe this is a
generic XP problem) is seeing the drive but does not allow a drive letter to
be recognized. Something happened when the Application restore process got
aborted due to power loss.

Thanks for your help in advance.

More about : ext drive recognized

Anonymous
July 25, 2005 12:47:55 AM

I would select the mentioned Help item, expand Disk Management topic,
and read: Checklist: Adding a new disk -- Add the new disk.

Including:

<quote>
Before you can use a disk, you must first initialize it.
</quote>

--
Mikhail Zhilin
MS MVP (Windows - Shell/User)