MN-700 IP Address

Last response: in Networking
Share
July 21, 2004 5:52:05 PM

I am using MN-700 for some time now, I have a work
station wired and a notebook wireless and they are
working great. Recently Comcast started charging for
additional IP's.

What I want to know is, does MN-700 generate IP addresses
for the PCs connected to it or does it request IP
addresses from the broadband service provider?

If it requests one IP address from the service provider
and provides internal IP address to the computers on it's
network, how do I make sure that it is doing that?

Thanks!

More about : 700 address

Anonymous
July 21, 2004 6:26:38 PM

It uses a single IP from the ISP, and then generates local
addresses. You do not need multiple IPs from the ISP with
the MN-700.

The 192.168.x.x are all local addresses. The MBNU shows
each PC IP address (or run ipconfig /all on each PC).

In general, the ISP only gives only one IP (there are
exceptions) and you have to ask for more if you need them
(most often you don't, unless running a big operation). If
you have multiple IP's with the ISP, cancel all except one
(the others are not being used)

July 21, 2004 7:01:34 PM

Thanks!

Anonymous
July 29, 2004 2:54:00 AM

The router normally acts as a DHCP server for machines that are "behind
it" - wired or wireless. The easiest way to check that is to run the command
ipconfig on each machine and see what that machine's IP address is. If it
is within the following ranges:
10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255 (10/8 prefix)

172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255 (172.16/12 prefix)

192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255 (192.168/16 prefix)

169.254.0.0 - 169.254.255.255 (APIPA - Automatic Private IP Addressing)

then they are internal IP addresses that are assigned by the router and not
coming from your ISP.

!