Problems running cloned system on my new SATA HD

terrelli

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2005
I have cloned my entire system from a PATA 80Gb HD to a new 200Gb SATA HD, i then set to boot from the SATA HD. Everything boots fine, but when i use windows explorer or internet explorer i get errors and the system informs me that it needs to close or debug. Has anybody else experienced this type of problem before? or has anybody got any suggestions?

I have tried cloning my system using norton ghost 2003 and maxblast 4 but still get the same explorer problems.

System configuration:
Asus A7N8X Deluxe Rev2.0
AMD XP3200
Samsung PC3200 DDR
XFX 6600GT
Maxtor 80Gb IDE
Seagate 200GB SATA
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
Pioneer DVR-109
Windows XP sp2

terrelli

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2005
I also have PowerQuest Partitionmagic 8 but not tried it yet, would this better than ghost or maxblast?

Though it probably will not solve my driver issues.....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
PowerQuest DriveImage is the best in my opinion, but in your situation I'd probably try a repair instal of XP on the current installation.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

terrelli

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2005
I assume you mean run the repair console on the new cloned installation. I will give it a try and let you know if it works, thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
No, I mean instal XP over the top of XP. That fixes a lot of broken links and screwed up files.

When you boot from an XP CD, you get to a certain point where it asks if you'd like to complete a new installation or repair the old one. That's several steps toward an installation past the point where it asks if you want to use the recovery console, which you don't.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>