10 Activations after MSDN subscription expires

I was under the impression that even if/when my MSDN subscription expired,
that the 10 activations (for XP, for example) would still be in effect -- or
to put it another way, I would still have access to all the software I had
during my subscription, but nothing new, if I let the subscription expire.

This seems to not be the case.

I have only two machines on which I have activated XP, and the other times I
install XP I just work within the 60 days.

Well, I installed a machine about 2 months ago and still need it configured
the way it is to continue testing on it -- so I went to activate it ... and I
was told the key has already been activated too many times.

I want to know:
(1) was I just misinformed, and actually my 10 activations were taken away?
and
(2) if I am still supposed to have those 10 activations, do I clear that up
by doing phone activation (and what could I possibly say while still
maintaining privacy?), or do I have to contact someone else (and who)?
15 answers Last reply
More about activations msdn subscription expires

    Phone activation should take care of it.
    You can also call MSDN Customer Service and possibly they can clear your
    activations:

    Further questions should be asked in the MSDN newsgroup:
    microsoft.public.msdn.general

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    In article <88F290BC-BAD1-449A-981B-5DA848DB7517@microsoft.com>,
    Zachariah@discussions.microsoft.com says...
    > I was under the impression that even if/when my MSDN subscription expired,
    > that the 10 activations (for XP, for example) would still be in effect -- or
    > to put it another way, I would still have access to all the software I had
    > during my subscription, but nothing new, if I let the subscription expire.

    The keys are only good for the licensed period of your subscription and
    you must uninstall ALL MSDN softwares when the subscription expires -
    this is the same with the Action Pack.

    The 10 keys would have caused a problem with MSDN if the licenses had
    still been good - they activate 10 times, you have to call after that,
    even if it was 10 days into your subscription.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Incorrect.
    The license to use MSDN is forever.
    That is a major difference between MSDN and Action Pack.

    --

    > you must uninstall ALL MSDN softwares when the subscription expires -
    > this is the same with the Action Pack.
    >
    > The 10 keys would have caused a problem with MSDN if the licenses had
    > still been good - they activate 10 times, you have to call after that,
    > even if it was 10 days into your subscription.
    >
    > --
    >
    > spam999free@rrohio.com
    > remove 999 in order to email me

    Although you must go through the activation process each time you
    reinstall on the same PC, your total number of activations will not be
    decremented.
    For Windows XP, MSDN Subscribers have 60 days before the product needs
    to be activated. If you will be reinstalling the software in less than
    60 days, you do not need to activate it.
    for Office XP, MSDN Subscribers have 50 launches, before the product
    needs to be activated.
    Software may be reinstalled on the same machine as many times as needed
    without reactivating it. However, if the hard disk is reformatted prior
    to reinstallation, reactivation may be required however the total number
    of activations will not be decremented.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:09:59 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

    >The keys are only good for the licensed period of your subscription and
    >you must uninstall ALL MSDN softwares when the subscription expires -
    >this is the same with the Action Pack.
    >
    >The 10 keys would have caused a problem with MSDN if the licenses had
    >still been good - they activate 10 times, you have to call after that,
    >even if it was 10 days into your subscription.

    If that was the case no one would get a msdn subscription, it cost a
    lot of dough. This is why Microsoft allows ten activation and allows
    you to keep your products.

    Greg Ro

    In article <eA3Kz$JkFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, webworm11
    @yes.lycos.com says...
    > On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:09:59 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
    >

    > >The keys are only good for the licensed period of your subscription and
    > >you must uninstall ALL MSDN softwares when the subscription expires -
    > >this is the same with the Action Pack.
    > >
    > >The 10 keys would have caused a problem with MSDN if the licenses had
    > >still been good - they activate 10 times, you have to call after that,
    > >even if it was 10 days into your subscription.
    >
    > If that was the case no one would get a msdn subscription, it cost a
    > lot of dough. This is why Microsoft allows ten activation and allows
    > you to keep your products.

    Sorry, MS does NOT allow you to KEEP USING THE PRODUCTS AFTER THE
    LICENSE EXPIRES. The license is good for ONE YEAR and must be renewed if
    you want to keep using the products beyond that period.

    If you don't renew the MSDN subscription then you must uninstall the
    software that you used from the MSDN Subscription - the same is true
    with the Action Pack software and the ISV provided software.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Zachariah
    Did you get it activated without any problems?

    Leythos
    Your incorrect. See Jupiter Jones and Torgeir Bakken posters are
    mvps. You are just use to the action pack which is different.

    Greg Ro

    Leythos wrote:
    > Sorry, MS does NOT allow you to KEEP USING THE PRODUCTS AFTER THE
    > LICENSE EXPIRES. The license is good for ONE YEAR and must be renewed if
    > you want to keep using the products beyond that period.

    The license does not expire after one year, it is a perpetual license.

    "When a subscription expires, do the licenses terminate or are they
    still valid?

    MSDN Subscriptions have a perpetual license, so subscribers can still
    use the products received with their MSDN Subscription after their
    subscription has expired."

    > If you don't renew the MSDN subscription then you must uninstall the
    > software that you used from the MSDN Subscription - the same is true
    > with the Action Pack software and the ISV provided software.

    No, MSDN is different from Action Pack in that the license does not
    expire when the subscription expires.

    complete details. Section 18 is relevant to this part of the discussion.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    Leythos wrote:

    > Sorry, MS does NOT allow you to KEEP USING THE PRODUCTS AFTER THE
    > LICENSE EXPIRES. The license is good for ONE YEAR and must be renewed if
    > you want to keep using the products beyond that period.
    >
    > If you don't renew the MSDN subscription then you must uninstall the
    > software that you used from the MSDN Subscription - the same is true
    > with the Action Pack software and the ISV provided software.

    Hi,

    Well, that is not what the MSDN FAQ states...

    From the licensing part of the FAQ for MSDN Subscriptions found here:

    <quote>
    Q.
    When a subscription expires, do the licenses terminate or are they
    still valid?

    A.
    MSDN Subscriptions have a perpetual license, so subscribers can still
    use the products received with their MSDN Subscription after their
    subscription has expired.

    </quote>

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Tom Porterfield <tpporter@mvps.org> wrote:

    >The license does not expire after one year, it is a perpetual license.
    >
    >"When a subscription expires, do the licenses terminate or are they
    >still valid?
    >
    >MSDN Subscriptions have a perpetual license, so subscribers can still
    >use the products received with their MSDN Subscription after their
    >subscription has expired."
    >
    >> If you don't renew the MSDN subscription then you must uninstall the
    >> software that you used from the MSDN Subscription - the same is true
    >> with the Action Pack software and the ISV provided software.
    >
    >No, MSDN is different from Action Pack in that the license does not
    >expire when the subscription expires.

    >complete details. Section 18 is relevant to this part of the discussion.

    There are significant differences in how the licenses can be used.
    Action Pack licenses are for general computing use. MSDN licenses
    contain the following provision:
    "The MSDN End User License Agreement (EULA) allows each person with an
    MSDN license to use all of the software that is included in the
    subscription for development, test, and demonstration purposes only."

    Note the part about development, test and demonstration purposes only.

    There is one exception:

    "In addition, one copy of Office Professional Enterprise Edition 2003
    can be used for general business use, unrelated to development and
    testing. Again, only persons with an MSDN Universal Subscription
    license can use these Microsoft Office products in this manner. "

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    In article <MPG.1d4ea005491e8cc9989a58@news-server.columbus.rr.com>,
    void@nowhere.lan says...
    > In article <eA3Kz$JkFHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, webworm11
    > @yes.lycos.com says...
    > > On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 12:09:59 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
    > >

    > > >The keys are only good for the licensed period of your subscription and
    > > >you must uninstall ALL MSDN softwares when the subscription expires -
    > > >this is the same with the Action Pack.
    > > >
    > > >The 10 keys would have caused a problem with MSDN if the licenses had
    > > >still been good - they activate 10 times, you have to call after that,
    > > >even if it was 10 days into your subscription.
    > >
    > > If that was the case no one would get a msdn subscription, it cost a
    > > lot of dough. This is why Microsoft allows ten activation and allows
    > > you to keep your products.
    >
    > Sorry, MS does NOT allow you to KEEP USING THE PRODUCTS AFTER THE
    > LICENSE EXPIRES. The license is good for ONE YEAR and must be renewed if
    > you want to keep using the products beyond that period.
    >
    > If you don't renew the MSDN subscription then you must uninstall the
    > software that you used from the MSDN Subscription - the same is true
    > with the Action Pack software and the ISV provided software.

    I apologize, you are correct. In the old days, when I was purchasing it
    every year, it would expire and we had to renew in order to use it.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Not to be a nit pick.
    According to Eula of msdn software you can still use the software

    The same eula also states

    "The MSDN End User License Agreement (EULA) allows each person with an
    MSDN license to use all of the software that is included in the
    subscription for development, test, and demonstration purposes only.

    Is this a contradiction?

    So Leythos maybe correct after all.

    Greg RO

    No contradiction. Two different items.

    In article <#WLnmhjkFHA.1412@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, webworm11
    @yes.lycos.com says...
    > Not to be a nit pick.
    > According to Eula of msdn software you can still use the software
    > after your subscriptions expires.
    >
    > The same eula also states
    >
    > "The MSDN End User License Agreement (EULA) allows each person with an
    > MSDN license to use all of the software that is included in the
    > subscription for development, test, and demonstration purposes only.
    >
    > Is this a contradiction?
    >
    > So Leythos maybe correct after all.

    No, MSDN has always been for non-production use and is limited to use by
    those that have a MSDN license assigned to them.

    As an example, if I (MSDN licensed) setup a SQL server and a .Net web
    server for testing, you (without a license) may not use the servers
    until such time as you purchase/are assigned a license. You are also not
    able to split a license between two people - meaning one can not use SQL
    while another uses Office under the same license.

    The fact that the expiration of the license does not invalidate the use
    of the MSDN software makes a big difference in development costs.

    So, if I was assigned a MSDN license before it expired, I can use the
    existing MSDN software for life, but I can't xfer that license to anyone
    else unless I get a valid one again.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me