ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

I feel my Windows XP Pro SP2 is not working well and would like to check if
there is any corrupted files. The System Restore also cannot restore to the
previous checkpoints. In previous Windows version, there is a System File
Checker but I cannot find it in Windows XP. Can someone advise me if there
is any other similar feature in Windows XP Pro.

Thanks,

Ray

Hi Ray

Run the following command from Start>Run:

sfc /scannow

You may need to have your XP CD to hand.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com> wrote in message
>I feel my Windows XP Pro SP2 is not working well and would like to check if
>there is any corrupted files. The System Restore also cannot restore to
>the previous checkpoints. In previous Windows version, there is a System
>File Checker but I cannot find it in Windows XP. Can someone advise me if
>there is any other similar feature in Windows XP Pro.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
(Sfc.exe)
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Ray wrote:

> I feel my Windows XP Pro SP2 is not working well and would like to check if
> there is any corrupted files. The System Restore also cannot restore to the
> previous checkpoints. In previous Windows version, there is a System File
> Checker but I cannot find it in Windows XP. Can someone advise me if there
> is any other similar feature in Windows XP Pro.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ray

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

S.Sengupta wrote:
> Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker
> (Sfc.exe)
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310747
>
> regards,
> ssg MS-MVP
>
> Ray wrote:
>
>> I feel my Windows XP Pro SP2 is not working well and would like to
>> check if there is any corrupted files. The System Restore also cannot
>> restore to the previous checkpoints. In previous Windows version,
>> there is a System File Checker but I cannot find it in Windows XP.
>> Can someone advise me if there is any other similar feature in Windows
>> XP Pro.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ray

ray

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001

Will,

Thanks for your advice. I tried it and the system asked me for XP CD many
times. I inserted the XP Pro upgrade CD in the DVD ROM drive and it
continued for a while and asked for CD again. I clicked Retry and the
system continued to check. Upon completion of checking, nothing displayed
and just existed. Is it ok or not?

I have further queries. I bought the pc with Windows XP Home and bought
Windows XP Pro upgrade CD and upgrade to SP2 from Windows website. What
does the sfc check against? Windows XP Home, Pro or SP2?

In addition, now many pc and NB come with recovery CD rather than Windows CD
plus other software CDs. Can we put those recovery CDs for SFC checking?

Thanks,

Ray

> Hi Ray
>
> Run the following command from Start>Run:
>
> sfc /scannow
>
> You may need to have your XP CD to hand.
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I feel my Windows XP Pro SP2 is not working well and would like to check
>>if there is any corrupted files. The System Restore also cannot restore
>>to the previous checkpoints. In previous Windows version, there is a
>>System File Checker but I cannot find it in Windows XP. Can someone
>>advise me if there is any other similar feature in Windows XP Pro.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ray

Hi

Have a look in Windows Explorer for the i386 folder and browse to that when
asked for the CD. If you are running SP2 and the XP CD you have is from a
previous version, the files may not be same the version.