pythonic13

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
I am thinking about getting an Ipad as I will probably be donating my laptop soon and I was wondering what everyone thinks about the Ipad. Would it be worth the money if I would use it mainly to check emails and surf the web?

G

I think once the hoopla has died down, people may wonder why they spent three times the price for the same functions as you can get with a netbook.

Especially given that the netbook has, theoretically, a user replaceable battery, a fuller range of connections and access to a wider range of programs. Using a dongle, the netbook can also be connected to the cell-phone type internet service
of your choice. Not just those networks paying Apple for the privilege.

Even from a gamer's viewpoint, I was interested to learn that my iPhone-using teenage nephew doesn't want an iPad because the only games for are those that can be downloaded from Apple.

Just as with the iPod, there are alternatives with advantages and fewer of the drawbacks imposed by Apple

pythonic13

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
hmmm interesting points, however I was led to believe that the ipad would have wifi for free, just a 3g network you would have to pay for. I also didnt realize that the ipad doesnt have a usb drive....

So I think I will just end up getting a new laptop, the ipad is a great concept, but its not a replacement for laptops.

Thanks for the help

G

Standard iPad includes wireless for free connecting to your home wifi network -- or similar systems fitted in cafes etc.

3G version (roughly $150 extra) includes cellphone type internet adapter -- as you mention that also involves a subscription.

iPad has the standard iPod type connector -- which will allow you to connect it to computers via the computer's USB socket.

What the iPad lacks is standard interfaces you'd expect on a netbook -- like usb socket for adding external drives, mouse, external keyboard, scanner, printer, non-Apple MP3 player, TV adapter etc etc..

G

For everyone with extra disposable income who needs/wants a third easy portable viewing device for Internet/e-book use, then yes.. For everyone else..NO!