Help: How do I change the hotsync name on my Zire 71?

October 2, 2004 6:05:05 PM

I have added a new user in palm desktop but everytime I sync the
original name comes up and syncs.
I have selected the new name to sync too in desktop
any ideas?
TIA

More about : change hotsync zire

Anonymous
October 2, 2004 6:05:06 PM

In order for the ZIRE 71 to synch with the new nme you must do a Hard Reset
and then have it form a new HotSynch Relationship. There are programs that
allow you to change the actual Hotsynch name of the Palm without a hard
reset, but remember the other programs that are setup under the old name,
wont be synching. Do the Hard Rest and save alotta aggravation.

"new at it" <me@newtoit.com> wrote in message
> I have added a new user in palm desktop but everytime I sync the
> original name comes up and syncs.
> I have selected the new name to sync too in desktop
> any ideas?
> TIA
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 8:34:55 PM

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:05:05 GMT, new at it had this to say...

> I have added a new user in palm desktop but everytime I sync the
> original name comes up and syncs.
> I have selected the new name to sync too in desktop
> any ideas?
> TIA

Open the Memopad and start a new Memo.
Enter "shortcut dot 5"
That is the Shortcut symbol, tap the screen twice to get a period, the
number five, with no spaces.
This deletes the Hotsync name, the next time you Hotsync, the computer
will ask which username you want to sync with.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

Jim,
Nice trick. But that still leaves issues with anything left that is the the
Folder fot the original Hotsynch Name? Or does that change the Folder for
that name in PalmOne directory as well?

"Jim Anderson" <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote in message
> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:05:05 GMT, new at it had this to say...
>

> > I have added a new user in palm desktop but everytime I sync the
> > original name comes up and syncs.
> > I have selected the new name to sync too in desktop
> > any ideas?
> > TIA
> >

> Open the Memopad and start a new Memo.
> Enter "shortcut dot 5"
> That is the Shortcut symbol, tap the screen twice to get a period, the
> number five, with no spaces.
> This deletes the Hotsync name, the next time you Hotsync, the computer
> will ask which username you want to sync with.
>
> --
> Hope this helps.
> Jim Anderson
> ( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 8:34:57 PM

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:59:11 -0400, "PDA Man" <pda@man.net> wrote:

>Jim,
>Nice trick. But that still leaves issues with anything left that is the the
>Folder fot the original Hotsynch Name? Or does that change the Folder for
>that name in PalmOne directory as well?

Will this not work?

RENAME the device from the TOOLS/USERS drop-down menu from the Palm
Desktop. On the first hotsyc, the username should be changed on the
handheld as well.

>"Jim Anderson" <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:05:05 GMT, new at it had this to say...
>>

>> > I have added a new user in palm desktop but everytime I sync the
>> > original name comes up and syncs.
>> > I have selected the new name to sync too in desktop
>> > any ideas?
>> > TIA
>> >

>> Open the Memopad and start a new Memo.
>> Enter "shortcut dot 5"
>> That is the Shortcut symbol, tap the screen twice to get a period, the
>> number five, with no spaces.
>> This deletes the Hotsync name, the next time you Hotsync, the computer
>> will ask which username you want to sync with.
>>
>> --
>> Hope this helps.
>> Jim Anderson
>> ( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger

Anonymous
October 3, 2004 12:20:35 AM

On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:59:11 -0400, PDA Man had this to say...

> Jim,
> Nice trick. But that still leaves issues with anything left that is the the
> Folder fot the original Hotsynch Name? Or does that change the Folder for
> that name in PalmOne directory as well?
>

> "Jim Anderson" <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote in message
> > On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:05:05 GMT, new at it had this to say...
> >

> > > I have added a new user in palm desktop but everytime I sync the
> > > original name comes up and syncs.
> > > I have selected the new name to sync too in desktop
> > > any ideas?
> > > TIA
> > >

> > Open the Memopad and start a new Memo.
> > Enter "shortcut dot 5"
> > That is the Shortcut symbol, tap the screen twice to get a period, the
> > number five, with no spaces.
> > This deletes the Hotsync name, the next time you Hotsync, the computer
> > will ask which username you want to sync with.
> >
> > --
> > Hope this helps.
> > Jim Anderson
> > ( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger

It only erases the username on the Palm.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 12:21:26 AM

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 12:11:28 -0700, krewl had this to say...

> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:59:11 -0400, "PDA Man" <pda@man.net> wrote:
>
> >Jim,
> >Nice trick. But that still leaves issues with anything left that is the the
> >Folder fot the original Hotsynch Name? Or does that change the Folder for
> >that name in PalmOne directory as well?
>
> Will this not work?
>
> RENAME the device from the TOOLS/USERS drop-down menu from the Palm
> Desktop. On the first hotsyc, the username should be changed on the
> handheld as well.
>

> >"Jim Anderson" <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote in message
> >> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:05:05 GMT, new at it had this to say...

> >> Open the Memopad and start a new Memo.
> >> Enter "shortcut dot 5"
> >> That is the Shortcut symbol, tap the screen twice to get a period, the
> >> number five, with no spaces.
> >> This deletes the Hotsync name, the next time you Hotsync, the computer
> >> will ask which username you want to sync with.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Hope this helps.
> >> Jim Anderson
> >> ( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger

nope.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 12:21:27 AM

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 20:21:26 GMT, Jim Anderson
<fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 12:11:28 -0700, krewl had this to say...
>

>> On Sat, 2 Oct 2004 14:59:11 -0400, "PDA Man" <pda@man.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Jim,
>> >Nice trick. But that still leaves issues with anything left that is the the
>> >Folder fot the original Hotsynch Name? Or does that change the Folder for
>> >that name in PalmOne directory as well?
>>
>> Will this not work?
>>
>> RENAME the device from the TOOLS/USERS drop-down menu from the Palm
>> Desktop. On the first hotsyc, the username should be changed on the
>> handheld as well.
>>

>> >"Jim Anderson" <fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote in message

>nope.

Odd. I just tried it ... and it worked for me. Changed the username
from within the Palm Desktop, did a hotsync and the name on the
handheld changed to the new name. Then I changed it back using the
same method. Using Palm Desktop 4.1 and a Sony Clie SJ30.
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 12:21:28 AM

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:53:31 -0700, krewl <krewl@invalid.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 20:21:26 GMT, Jim Anderson
><fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:

>>> Will this not work?
>>>
>>> RENAME the device from the TOOLS/USERS drop-down menu from the Palm
>>> Desktop. On the first hotsyc, the username should be changed on the
>>> handheld as well.

>>nope.
>
>Odd. I just tried it ... and it worked for me. Changed the username
>from within the Palm Desktop, did a hotsync and the name on the
>handheld changed to the new name. Then I changed it back using the
>same method. Using Palm Desktop 4.1 and a Sony Clie SJ30.

Like this method:

http://www.natara.com/support/index.cfm?FuseAction=Chan...
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 4:53:57 AM

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 14:00:43 -0700, krewl had this to say...

> On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 13:53:31 -0700, krewl <krewl@invalid.com> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 20:21:26 GMT, Jim Anderson
> ><fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:
> >
> >>On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 12:11:28 -0700, krewl had this to say...

> >>nope.
> >
> >Odd. I just tried it ... and it worked for me. Changed the username
> >from within the Palm Desktop, did a hotsync and the name on the
> >handheld changed to the new name. Then I changed it back using the
> >same method. Using Palm Desktop 4.1 and a Sony Clie SJ30.
>
> Like this method:
>
> http://www.natara.com/support/index.cfm?FuseAction=Chan...

Hey, that's cool, never heard of that before.
Thanks.

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson
( 8(|) To email me just pull my_finger
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 4:53:58 AM

On Sun, 03 Oct 2004 00:53:57 GMT, Jim Anderson
<fro2750@frontiernet.my_finger.net> wrote:

----snipped---

>> >Odd. I just tried it ... and it worked for me. Changed the username
>> >from within the Palm Desktop, did a hotsync and the name on the
>> >handheld changed to the new name. Then I changed it back using the
>> >same method. Using Palm Desktop 4.1 and a Sony Clie SJ30.
>>
>> Like this method:
>>
>> http://www.natara.com/support/index.cfm?FuseAction=Chan...
>>
>Hey, that's cool, never heard of that before.
>Thanks.

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to find such a simple, straightforward
solution right under my nose. :)
!