Deleting temporary files

July 24, 2005 2:41:13 PM

I want a procesure to delete files (temporary files as it happens), but
which ignores files in use and which continues with the next file instead of
stopping at the first error, and ideally without prompts.

Regards
Stephen Ford
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 2:41:14 PM

I use a utility called CleanCache. There are many options within. It was
free, if I remember correctly. You will have to Google for it as I don't
remember where I got it from. It works well and is many times over faster
that deleting the files through Windows Explorer.

To save you some time I just searched and found it here
http://www.buttuglysoftware.com/. I'm glad I did as they have just released
a newer version 3.0. It requires .net to be installed on your computer. The
older version 2.0 (still available for download) does less but does not
require that .net be installed.

Yes! It is free. There are no hidden surprises attached or within - a BIG
plus in my book.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Stephen Ford" <stephen_ford_NOSPAM_@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
>I want a procesure to delete files (temporary files as it happens), but
>which ignores files in use and which continues with the next file instead
>of stopping at the first error, and ideally without prompts.
>
> Regards
> Stephen Ford

Anonymous
July 24, 2005 7:37:44 PM

Try in safe mode.

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Stephen Ford wrote:

> I want a procesure to delete files (temporary files as it happens), but
> which ignores files in use and which continues with the next file instead of
> stopping at the first error, and ideally without prompts.
>
> Regards
> Stephen Ford

July 24, 2005 7:37:45 PM

A piece of software that I use creates a new temp folder on each startup but
does not delete it. It's a fault, but the s/w manufacturer no longer trades,
but he s/w is good apart from that. So every couple of weeks I delete the
temp folder contents. The s/w is running when I do this so it stops its
current folder from being deleted.

OK, so I'm being lazy - to cope at the moment I sort all the files/folders
by date and delete all but the first. I'd hoped for a file zapper that
enabled to do an unattended delete process and save me about 30seconds :-}

If I resurrect my C, I can probably write an "ignore all errors + delete all
files"program. Surely there's one out there?

Stephen
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 7:37:46 PM

>A piece of software that I use creates a new temp folder on each startup
>but does not delete it. It's a fault, but the s/w manufacturer no longer
>trades, but he s/w is good apart from that. So every couple of weeks I
>delete the temp folder contents. The s/w is running when I do this so it
>stops its current folder from being deleted.
>
> OK, so I'm being lazy - to cope at the moment I sort all the files/folders
> by date and delete all but the first. I'd hoped for a file zapper that
> enabled to do an unattended delete process and save me about 30seconds :-}
>
> If I resurrect my C, I can probably write an "ignore all errors + delete
> all files"program. Surely there's one out there?
>
> Stephen

Have you tried a web search? There is software out there like
http://www.4diskclean.com/
Anonymous
July 24, 2005 7:37:47 PM

Just found this.

@echo off
pushd %1
del /q *.*
for /f "Tokens=*" %%G in ('dir /B') do rd /s /q "%%G"
popd

pause

I created a batch file and then a shortcut, and appended the name of the
temp folder to the target field in the properties dialog.

And it works. My contribution is the "pause" ... :-}

Thanks for all suggestions.

Stephen
!