Deleting temporary files

I want a procesure to delete files (temporary files as it happens), but
which ignores files in use and which continues with the next file instead of
stopping at the first error, and ideally without prompts.

Regards
Stephen Ford
5 answers Last reply
More about deleting temporary files

    I use a utility called CleanCache. There are many options within. It was
    free, if I remember correctly. You will have to Google for it as I don't
    remember where I got it from. It works well and is many times over faster
    that deleting the files through Windows Explorer.

    To save you some time I just searched and found it here
    http://www.buttuglysoftware.com/. I'm glad I did as they have just released
    a newer version 3.0. It requires .net to be installed on your computer. The
    older version 2.0 (still available for download) does less but does not
    require that .net be installed.

    Yes! It is free. There are no hidden surprises attached or within - a BIG
    plus in my book.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "Stephen Ford" <stephen_ford_NOSPAM_@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >I want a procesure to delete files (temporary files as it happens), but
    >which ignores files in use and which continues with the next file instead
    >of stopping at the first error, and ideally without prompts.
    >
    > Regards
    > Stephen Ford

    Try in safe mode.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Stephen Ford wrote:

    > I want a procesure to delete files (temporary files as it happens), but
    > which ignores files in use and which continues with the next file instead of
    > stopping at the first error, and ideally without prompts.
    >
    > Regards
    > Stephen Ford

    A piece of software that I use creates a new temp folder on each startup but
    does not delete it. It's a fault, but the s/w manufacturer no longer trades,
    but he s/w is good apart from that. So every couple of weeks I delete the
    temp folder contents. The s/w is running when I do this so it stops its
    current folder from being deleted.

    OK, so I'm being lazy - to cope at the moment I sort all the files/folders
    by date and delete all but the first. I'd hoped for a file zapper that
    enabled to do an unattended delete process and save me about 30seconds :-}

    If I resurrect my C, I can probably write an "ignore all errors + delete all
    files"program. Surely there's one out there?

    Stephen

    >A piece of software that I use creates a new temp folder on each startup
    >but does not delete it. It's a fault, but the s/w manufacturer no longer
    >trades, but he s/w is good apart from that. So every couple of weeks I
    >delete the temp folder contents. The s/w is running when I do this so it
    >stops its current folder from being deleted.
    >
    > OK, so I'm being lazy - to cope at the moment I sort all the files/folders
    > by date and delete all but the first. I'd hoped for a file zapper that
    > enabled to do an unattended delete process and save me about 30seconds :-}
    >
    > If I resurrect my C, I can probably write an "ignore all errors + delete
    > all files"program. Surely there's one out there?
    >
    > Stephen

    Have you tried a web search? There is software out there like
    http://www.4diskclean.com/

    Just found this.

    @echo off
    pushd %1
    del /q *.*
    for /f "Tokens=*" %%G in ('dir /B') do rd /s /q "%%G"
    popd

    pause

    I created a batch file and then a shortcut, and appended the name of the
    temp folder to the target field in the properties dialog.

    And it works. My contribution is the "pause" ... :-}

    Thanks for all suggestions.

    Stephen

Microsoft Windows XP