Repair Windows

I have installed many software on my computers in the past and now leave the
most useful ones. I notice the registry that lots of uninstalled programs
still left in the registry. Of course I can do a clean installation but it
will take a great deal of time to re-install and re-configure all other
software. Some configurations have been forgotten. It would be a very
painful and time consuming process. Is Repair Windows just to install
Windows over the existing one but un-touch other software? Is it also give
a clean registry to me?

Thanks,

Ray
6 answers Last reply
More about repair windows

    Hi Ray,

    A repair installation is similar to the "over the top" installation of old
    in that all it touches are the system files. The registry would be affected
    only by the replaced entries. It will not remove the dead entries in there
    now. Frankly, they harm nothing to leave them there and are best just left.
    WinXP does not suffer from registry bloat like some older versions of
    Windows did. Some may suggest a registry cleaner, I would recommend against
    it as everyone I've seen removes targeted files and those that it *thinks*
    should be removed and almost always bugger up an otherwise working system.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have installed many software on my computers in the past and now leave
    >the most useful ones. I notice the registry that lots of uninstalled
    >programs still left in the registry. Of course I can do a clean
    >installation but it will take a great deal of time to re-install and
    >re-configure all other software. Some configurations have been forgotten.
    >It would be a very painful and time consuming process. Is Repair Windows
    >just to install Windows over the existing one but un-touch other software?
    >Is it also give a clean registry to me?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Ray

    Rick,

    Thanks for your useful advice. I tried to repair Windows without success
    since I could not provide administrator password. Looking at accounts and
    I am the administrator user. I do not need any password to logon as the
    computer is used by myself only. Is there any way to recover the
    administrator password?

    Ray

    > Hi Ray,
    >
    > A repair installation is similar to the "over the top" installation of old
    > in that all it touches are the system files. The registry would be
    > affected only by the replaced entries. It will not remove the dead entries
    > in there now. Frankly, they harm nothing to leave them there and are best
    > just left. WinXP does not suffer from registry bloat like some older
    > versions of Windows did. Some may suggest a registry cleaner, I would
    > recommend against it as everyone I've seen removes targeted files and
    > those that it *thinks* should be removed and almost always bugger up an
    > otherwise working system.
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>I have installed many software on my computers in the past and now leave
    >>the most useful ones. I notice the registry that lots of uninstalled
    >>programs still left in the registry. Of course I can do a clean
    >>installation but it will take a great deal of time to re-install and
    >>re-configure all other software. Some configurations have been forgotten.
    >>It would be a very painful and time consuming process. Is Repair Windows
    >>just to install Windows over the existing one but un-touch other software?
    >>Is it also give a clean registry to me?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Ray

    Ray--

    Of course you have a remedy here. MSFT has not publicized this well but Help
    and Support (almost no one uses--beginners/advanced users--does an excelent
    job of discussing this if you put it up and search with the words user
    addounts.

    Boot into Safe Mode and Use the non-deletable spare Admin Account to change
    the password. Email the new one to yourself so it is always accessible.

    How to log on to Windows XP if you forget your password or your password
    expires
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321305

    Best,

    Chad Harris

    > Rick,
    >
    > Thanks for your useful advice. I tried to repair Windows without success
    > since I could not provide administrator password. Looking at accounts
    > and I am the administrator user. I do not need any password to logon as
    > the computer is used by myself only. Is there any way to recover the
    > administrator password?
    >
    > Ray

    >> Hi Ray,
    >>
    >> A repair installation is similar to the "over the top" installation of
    >> old in that all it touches are the system files. The registry would be
    >> affected only by the replaced entries. It will not remove the dead
    >> entries in there now. Frankly, they harm nothing to leave them there and
    >> are best just left. WinXP does not suffer from registry bloat like some
    >> older versions of Windows did. Some may suggest a registry cleaner, I
    >> would recommend against it as everyone I've seen removes targeted files
    >> and those that it *thinks* should be removed and almost always bugger up
    >> an otherwise working system.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have installed many software on my computers in the past and now leave
    >>>the most useful ones. I notice the registry that lots of uninstalled
    >>>programs still left in the registry. Of course I can do a clean
    >>>installation but it will take a great deal of time to re-install and
    >>>re-configure all other software. Some configurations have been
    >>>forgotten. It would be a very painful and time consuming process. Is
    >>>Repair Windows just to install Windows over the existing one but un-touch
    >>>other software? Is it also give a clean registry to me?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Ray

    Ray--

    I should have added the steps to focus on in the KB, are he

    Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional in a workgroup
    To log on as Administrator and reset the password, follow these steps:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321305#XSLTH4135121122120121120120

    Best,

    Chard Harris

    "Chad Harris" <ddram32_nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Ray--
    >
    > Of course you have a remedy here. MSFT has not publicized this well but
    > Help and Support (almost no one uses--beginners/advanced users--does an
    > excelent job of discussing this if you put it up and search with the words
    > user addounts.
    >
    > Boot into Safe Mode and Use the non-deletable spare Admin Account to
    > change the password. Email the new one to yourself so it is always
    > accessible.
    >
    > How to log on to Windows XP if you forget your password or your password
    > expires
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321305
    >
    > Best,
    >
    > Chad Harris
    >

    > "Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Rick,
    >>
    >> Thanks for your useful advice. I tried to repair Windows without success
    >> since I could not provide administrator password. Looking at accounts
    >> and I am the administrator user. I do not need any password to logon as
    >> the computer is used by myself only. Is there any way to recover the
    >> administrator password?
    >>
    >> Ray
    >>
    >> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Ray,
    >>>
    >>> A repair installation is similar to the "over the top" installation of
    >>> old in that all it touches are the system files. The registry would be
    >>> affected only by the replaced entries. It will not remove the dead
    >>> entries in there now. Frankly, they harm nothing to leave them there and
    >>> are best just left. WinXP does not suffer from registry bloat like some
    >>> older versions of Windows did. Some may suggest a registry cleaner, I
    >>> would recommend against it as everyone I've seen removes targeted files
    >>> and those that it *thinks* should be removed and almost always bugger up
    >>> an otherwise working system.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Best of Luck,

    >>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >>> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    >>> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    >>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>>
    >>> "Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com> wrote in message

    If it asked you for a password, then you chose the wrong "repair"
    option. When repairing a WinXP installation, you want to go past the
    first repair option (you don't want the Repair Console - instead
    choose to install Windows by hitting Enter), accept the license
    agreement, the choose to repair the existing XP installation when it's
    shown on the next set of screens.

    On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:16:14 +0800, "Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >Rick,
    >
    >Thanks for your useful advice. I tried to repair Windows without success
    >since I could not provide administrator password. Looking at accounts and
    >I am the administrator user. I do not need any password to logon as the
    >computer is used by myself only. Is there any way to recover the
    >administrator password?
    >
    >Ray
    >
    >"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> Hi Ray,
    >>
    >> A repair installation is similar to the "over the top" installation of old
    >> in that all it touches are the system files. The registry would be
    >> affected only by the replaced entries. It will not remove the dead entries
    >> in there now. Frankly, they harm nothing to leave them there and are best
    >> just left. WinXP does not suffer from registry bloat like some older
    >> versions of Windows did. Some may suggest a registry cleaner, I would
    >> recommend against it as everyone I've seen removes targeted files and
    >> those that it *thinks* should be removed and almost always bugger up an
    >> otherwise working system.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Ray" <NoSpam-ray.ck.li@Gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have installed many software on my computers in the past and now leave
    >>>the most useful ones. I notice the registry that lots of uninstalled
    >>>programs still left in the registry. Of course I can do a clean
    >>>installation but it will take a great deal of time to re-install and
    >>>re-configure all other software. Some configurations have been forgotten.
    >>>It would be a very painful and time consuming process. Is Repair Windows
    >>>just to install Windows over the existing one but un-touch other software?
    >>>Is it also give a clean registry to me?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Ray

Software Microsoft Registry Windows XP