Win XP:Locating recovery console and typing commands therein

July 24, 2005 4:02:38 PM

::I am unable to boot onto my PC. I get a message “ntldr is missing”. I
have found a temporary work around and boot using a floppy disk. I have
installed the recovery console from my installation disk. But I cannot
find it. In addition, I have have to copy nldr files from the
installation disk onto my c drive. Whenever I type the relevant
commands onto recovery console I get the following types of messages: “
path or file specified is not valid” which indicates I am not
typing/using recovery console.I need help woth to problems:::

:: ::

::1):: ::How do I find and access recovery console? I tried F8
but cannot find it there. I thought it would have been installed on my
start menu.::

::2):: ::How do I type the requisite commands onto recovery
console.::

:: ::

::My problem:::

'_::http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/ntldr_missin...'
(http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/ntldr_missin...)

:: ::

::The solution:::

'_::http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/ntldr_missin...'
(http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/ntldr_missin...)

:: ::

::*Windows XP users*::
::6.:: ::Copy the below two files to the ::'_::root::_'
(http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/r/root.htm):: directory of the
primary hard disk. In the below example we are copying these files from
the CD-ROM drive letter \"E\". This letter may be different on your
computer.

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\::

::7.:: ::o nce both of these files have been successfully copied,
remove the CD from the computer and reboot. ::
::::
::The above solution presumes I know how to copy the above files. I
typed in the above commands but got the above error message mmentioned
above. The articles give the impression it's simply a matter of typing
in the commands, but I think more must be done on recovery console
before this can be done. I need a step by step tutorial on how to do
this. I have spent hours googling and cannot find anything which
teaches a novice how to do it . The microsoft website is useless
because again it presumes you know how to work recovery console.::
:: ::

::I found this which appeared to be helpful:::

'_::http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm::_'
(http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm)

:: ::

_Recovering_from_Bootup_problems_:_
When the system displays on booting a message of "missing" NTLDR or
NTDETECT,
you can copy these files via Recovery Console from the CD-ROM :

make sure to be on the root of the C:-drive (please make : CD \ ).
In my example, the CD-ROM drive is Drive D: , allowing to make a copy
of the files
NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the i386-directory to the C:\ - root
directory.

But again it fails to tell you how to do this eg how do I tell recovery
console how to copy the files on the root file.What does please make cd
\. mean?

Apologies for the lengthy post. Hoping I have provided all the
necessary info.

Thanx for your help in advance.

:: ::

--
Baz63Posted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup access
Anonymous

Hi,

Sounds like you are trying to work from a DOS boot floppy, which is pretty
well useless if the system is using the NTFS file system. DOS cannot read
that file system, so that is why you get the invalid path messages.

What you need to do is load the XP Recovery Console from either the CD or
the Boot Floppy set. If you have retail or generic OEM disk, this is done by
booting the system with the CD in place (and having the BIOS set to boot the
CD drive first), then hitting 'r' at the first prompt. You will then need to
logon with the administrator password. If you do not have one of these, then
you can use the 6 disk boot floppy set, see this on creating them:

http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Boot%20floppy

Once booted, you can simply copy ntldr from the I386 folder to the root of
the system drive (this being the drive the system actually boots from,
usually the same as the one housing the system installation).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Baz63" <Baz63.1so7sm@> wrote in message

> [...]
>
> '_::http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm::_'
> (http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm)
>
> :: ::
>
> _Recovering_from_Bootup_problems_:_
> When the system displays on booting a message of "missing" NTLDR or
> NTDETECT,
> you can copy these files via Recovery Console from the CD-ROM :
>
> make sure to be on the root of the C:-drive (please make : CD \ ).
> In my example, the CD-ROM drive is Drive D: , allowing to make a copy
> of the files
> NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM from the i386-directory to the C:\ - root
> directory.
>

> But again it fails to tell you how to do this eg how do I tell recovery
> console how to copy the files on the root file.What does please make cd
> \. mean?
>
> Apologies for the lengthy post. Hoping I have provided all the

You can try the Recovery Console as Rick and the MSKB on the topic
recommend, however while the recovery console is a great concept, in reality
using it seldom work to repair anything. If you have the XP CD, you would
are far more likely to reapir that system first trying either System Restore
in every Safe Mode option at the F8 Win Adv Options Menu including the
command at Safe Mode with Cmd if Safe Mode does not work, and Last Known
Good which is a registry snap shot similar to System Restore.

Type %systemroot%system32 estore strui.exe and Enter at the command prompt
to start the System Restore feature from the Safe Mode Cmd Prompt.

If those options fail you, then do a repair install. I would relegate the
Recovery Console to way down on the list below these.

How to do a Repair Install

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341#XSLTH31271211221...

I have found this to be true of every single situation where anyone
including the MSKBs invoke the Recovery Console and there is nothing like
trying it and seeing it fail to bring you to doing these.
:)

Best,

Chad Harris

!